Chapter 8

8: Elektra

I lie in my bed, staring up at the ceiling. Ariel sleeps soundly in her bed next to mine, and I try to focus on the even breaths she takes, breathe in the lavender room spray she likes, claiming that it helps her sleep. I wish it helped me sleep.

I fucked up today. I lost control and put her in danger. When I was incapacitated, what if something had happened to her? Gerald and Gretchen certainly drilled that point in this afternoon.

I shut my eyes tightly, forcing my heart rate to remain even as I remember earlier in the garage. The Guardians hadn't wasted any time after moving in to set up their "training" room for me. None of the others have had to have private sessions with them, I'm the lucky one.

I sat down in the chair willingly, even though I knew what was coming. It wouldn't be the first time. I deserved it, didn't I? I allowed them to strap me in with the metal shackles. Then they bombarded me with images and visions, with their creepy mindrape powers. Ariel being shoved down the stairs at school, Ariel getting slapped by a faceless girl, Ariel surrounded by guys in a dark hallway, Ariel, Ariel, Ariel. And always, it was my fault. I had abandoned her to sort out my problems. I don't get my own problems. She is my sole responsibility.

Each time my eyes would glow, Gretchen would push my chair back and hold that rag over my face, and Gerald would pour the water. It feels like I'm drowning, but I never struggle. I always hold back the gagging, the choking, and force myself to take it. I have to be strong. I have to be able to overcome anything. I have to control myself. I have to protect her.

~

I hear Ariel moving around our room, trying to be quiet as not to wake me. It doesn't really matter, I have yet to even sleep. I take a deep breath, tamping down my emotions, forcing up the light-hearted, apathetic attitude I wear instead.

"Good God, twin. Just do what you need to do. Your tip-toeing is the worst." I keep my eyes closed.

Then the dweeb leaps on me, squealing, like she did back when we were kids. "Hee-yah!" Ariel shouts, grabbing me into a hug while laying on top of me.

"Uggghhh," I groan. "Why?"

But I'm not upset. She could never upset me. I hitch my leg over her and then flip us over. I hold her hands down with my knees and poke her in the sides, tickling her relentlessly. She laughs until tears stream down her face.

"Say it!" I shout, laughing with her.

"Never!" She yells back, squirming to get away from me.

"Say it!" I repeat, poking her again.

"Aah! Fine! You get the last piece of cake!"

I fall to the side, and we both lie there for a moment, cracking up. The first time I figured out she was ticklish was back when we were ten, and I used it to my advantage on our birthday, when we fought over the last piece of birthday cake. I just wanted to win. I ended up giving her the cake anyway, only to have it stolen from her by Rhett--the bastard.

We keep giggling for the rest of the morning, through our workout with the guys, who look at us like we're crazy. We take our turns in the shower, then face each other in our matching robes.

"You ready to Parent Trap this bitch?" I ask devilishly.

"Why would I Parent Trap a female dog?" She smirks at me.

I roll my eyes at her, then grab her hands. "Ready set go."

We concentrate and I watch as her hair grows and darkens, and her eyes become my eyes--golden orange. I smile at her. "Dang, twin. You look hot."