Chapter 6

6. Elektra

I pull Ariel towards the cafeteria down an emptied hallway, then realize that we're being followed. Instinct takes over and I whirl around, coming face to face with a sort of scrawny boy with shaggy reddish-brown hair. Even though I'm smaller than him, he shrinks back.

"What do you want?" My voice is low and probably pretty scary, but I have so much adrenaline running through me from holding my gift back and I honestly don't know if I can hold the fire in much longer.

The way Brandi made Ariel look so ashamed and cowed made me crave dark, horrible things, and it scared me a bit. I had wanted to burn through Brandi and her entire group of friends for their teasing laughter at my twin's expense. I had wanted to create a bonfire with the lot of them, and only barely held myself back. The flames were there, waiting impatiently to be released, to seek their vengeance. It is my duty to take Ariel's burdens, to fight her battles, to protect her. Gerald's words constantly echo through my mind. Maybe my anger is so much more because I got a fresh lecture from him a few days ago.

In my head, distracted by my thoughts, I hadn't even noticed that the boy had fallen backwards and was crawling away from me, scooting frantically on his butt. That's when I realize that my fists are clenched tight and I'm radiating heat, emitting it like a furnace on full blast. And I know, I just know, that my eyes are blazing scarlet.

"Wh-wh...Who are you?" The poor guy is backed against the lockers and can't get any farther away from me.

Suddenly, Ariel is in my face, blocking the boy from me, "Lex! Lex! Snap out of it. Please! Please, Lex."

She looks like she's about to cry and that breaks me. I take a large step backwards and close my eyes, counting to ten. Ariel starts consoling the boy, whom she calls Will, and I pull myself back from the burning flames that threaten to consume me, and anyone in my way.

~

Ariel does her best to try to explain to her new friend Will that I had had a panic attack and then the light must have reflected off my eyes to make me look freaky. Will didn't look like he bought it, but he sure wasn't going to question anything while still in my presence, that was for sure.

"Do you still want to eat with us?" Ariel asks him in a tentative voice, and I realize that for some reason she's taken this guy under her wing.

Once again, I see the divide between us. She's so caring and selfless, extending her friendship to this stranger, who could threaten our security because he's seen me and my fire. As she altruistically tries to befriend this Will, I silently pray that I won't be forced to kill him for our safety, for her safety. Because I know that I would. For the second time today, I scare myself.

Will eyes me for a long moment before answering my twin, "Yes, I still want to eat with you, as long as that's okay with your guard dog."

Ariel gasps and looks nervously at me, one hand mindlessly tugging at her braid in her anxiety. I don't react for a second as I silently reevaluate Will. That was a brave thing to say. Even though it was courageous to say it, now that it's out, and I'm looking at him, he sucks in a deep breath, cheeks flushing.

Oh hell. I allow myself to laugh, smiling at him finally, and he releases his breath, relieved.

"This is my twin, Elektra, but everyone calls her Lex," Ariel quickly makes the introductions, looking extremely relieved herself.

"Elektra? I have comic books..." Will's cheeks flush again--man, this guy is worse than Ariel, "I mean, cool name. I'm Will. William. Will. Sorry. People call me Will."

Ariel looks at him like he's an adorable new puppy, and I sigh. She's about to adopt this nervous boy.

We make our way to the lunch room and find Clay and Rhett already saving us seats at a table in the corner. I'm still twitching with pent-up energy that I was unable to release, and it's got me on edge. I wordlessly sit down next to my boyfriend, who's ecstatic to see me as usual. I can't even smile at him in greeting. Ariel introduces the guys to Will, who Clay watches closely. He's obviously not excited that my twin has brought another guy to join us.