Letters

When a word or sentence is in italic, it means it's in Thai or another language like French or Norwegian.

Letters

Mon fils? My Leon, we're having breakfast,” he heard the sound of his Mom's lovely voice getting nearer to his room, because he forgot to close the door again.

He clutched the baby blue envelope he was holding on his lap, and unconsciously slid it under his king-sized bed, afraid that his Mommy would discover his little secret. “Mommy,” he muttered.

“Hey there little one.” His Mom's head peeked at him, before she fully stepped inside the room. “What are you doing there?”

Leon realized his position, he was sitting on the floor on the side of his bed— doing nothing after slipping in the envelope underneath. He flashed an innocent look to his Mom and smiled at her, “nothing, Mommy.”

“Okay, let's go downstairs? Breakfast is ready, mon fils.” He stood up and walked to her Mom, and locked his little hand on hers.

The two was greeted by the table set by the man of the house, Nadech. He stood next to the table with a proud grin on his face, still wearing the apron. “I made sure your favorites are served, Ma'am and little boy.” He proudly said which earned a laugh from his wife.

“You should. Or I'll kill you,” she joked. But that joke was taken seriously by their son.

“Mommy, don't say that. You won't kill Dad, right?”

“Oh no, love! Of course I won't do that!” She sat down to level her son's height, at least. “I wasn't finished yet. I'm gonna kill Daddy with my love! Right, Daddy?”

“Of course, your Mom loves me so much. But that joke isn't something you should use, too, okay?”

“I understand!” Their little boy nodded.

“Ah, I can be really stupid sometimes,” Yaya whispered the moment she stood up. “Good thing we have a smart son.”

“You're not stupid, teerak. You're smart.”

“Why?”

Because you chose a fine and amazing man like me. That makes you smart already.” Nadech bursted into fits laughter after seeing his wife's disgusted reaction. “Whats with your reaction!?”

Yaya ignored him and she focused his attention on Leon. “Take your seat, Mon fils.” She said.

She was about to pull her chair on the right side (opposite to Leon's), when her husband swiftly did it for her. She shook her head at him as a little smile formed in her lips.

Well, it's in his nature.

He will always be a gentleman— especially for her.

“At your service, Ma'am.” He said before sitting at the chair on the front edge.

The three of them ate in silence— not an awkward one. But when Leon finished his meal, Nadech spoke in a low voice, “have you told Mommy already?”

Leon, at 7th mainly speaks in English with her Mom— sometimes in French, too. But with his Dad, it's Thai. He understands basic Thai and he continues practicing with his Daddy, Grandma Keaw and Granny Pla.

When it's his Grandpa Sigurd or Aunt Catty, it's basic Norwegian. At a young age he has been taught different languages already and he was able to pick up quickly.

“Daddy, it's our secret!”

“What secret, huh? Are you guys keeping something from me?” Yaya's eyes turned into slits.

“Mom, it's safe for me and Daddy only. Because he's a boy.”

“So is it dangerous for me? Just because I'm a girl?” She pulled her actress card and wiped the invisible tears on the corners of her eyes. “You don't love Mommy anymore, mon fils? That's why you're not telling me?”

Nadech controlled his laugh. When it comes to things like this, his wife is really the best. He watched as their son started fidgeting on the table.

“Okay, I'm gonna tell it..” Leon said, his head hung down.

“So what is it?” Yaya still continued with her dramatic acting.

“I.. I have a girl I like in the class.” Under the table was Leon's shaking feet.

“Oh my God, since when?!” She asked before covering her mouth with his hands.

This time, Nadech giggled at his wife's antics. “Stop it, you're overreacting!”

“And you know it too? You guys never told me! So who is this girl, huh?”

Nadech's hands reached for his son's. “Dont worry about Mommy, she's just happy her son finally have someone he likes.” The moment he said that, Leon looked up.

“Really, Mom? You're not mad?”

From a tiger Mom she turned into a kitten. Leon's baby eyes are just too irresistible that she's willing to ignore the fact that they kept it from her. “Of course I'm not. So, who is she?”

“Her name's.. Freya..”

For the second time, Yaya got shocked. “You mean to say..”

Yep, he has a crush on Freya. Mark and Kim's only daughter.” Nadech foolishly grinned. “Ohoy, hence the stolen glances whenever we gather together.” He teased his son.

“Dad!”

“It's fine, son. Freya is cute.” He shuffled Leon's hair. “When do you plan to give the letters to her?”

“Letters?! What letters?” Yaya asked.

Apparently, your son has tons of letters written for his crush.”

“So.. the blue envelopes I saw on his drawer.. it's for Freya?” Leon's eyes widened— how come her Mommy knew? “So it's for her. And how about Mommy? When will my son give letters to me? Hmm?”

“Mom.. I don't have to write letters for you. I always say it everyday. The things that I want to tell you. Why write when I can tell it straightly?” Leon smiled sweetly.

And Nadech, once again, had that proud grin on his face.

That's my son.

“Geez, this breakfast is making me so emotional. Who's cutting onions?” This time for real, she started tearing up.

Aw, don't cry. We raised a sweet son, didn't we?” Nadech stood up to hug Yaya's side, and he signalled Leon to join them too.

“I love you, Mommy. You are the girl I love the most.”

Those words made Yaya's heart melt even more.

She realized... she may not be the perfect mother for him.. they may not be the perfect parents, but they raised him to be the son every parents would love to have.

“And we love you more than you could think, Leon Apollo.”