Chapter 5

Click. Clack. Click. Clack.

Hiro straightens himself in his chair as the sound of shoes clacking against tile reaches his ears. He looks up, a smile on his face, ready to greet whoever had decided to stop by the Fire Nation jail.

"Hello, how may I help-" Hiro freezes and stops mid-sentence as his eyes lock onto the person before him.

Because Fire Lord Ozai is right there.

"M-my lord, I-"

"Am I correct to assume that you are the one who fought off the assassin?" The Fire Lord asks, his voice like oil in Hiro's ears. Hiro looks up in confusion, caught off guard by the question.

"Uh, yes! Yes, that was me. My name is Hiro, my armadillo-dog and I fended off the assassin with the help of Koji, who the assassin killed."

Fire Lord Ozai nods, his expression inscrutable. "The Fire Nation commends you for your service. I read your record, and you were placed in the mines for three years, correct?"

"Yes, sir. I was young and unruly, and the coal mines sorted me out." Hiro lies through his teeth, but the Fire Lord seems pleased with his response.

"Good, you have learned respect through harsh discipline. That is good, admirable even. Now, where is my brother? I was told the assassin was here for him, and I think it is time that we had a talk."

Hiro's brain short-circuits. "G-General Iroh? You, uh, you can't see him!"

There is silence for a moment in the office.

What is wrong with me?! Hiro mentally berates himself, trying to wrest control of his tongue back from whatever had possessed him.

"Oh?" The Fire Lord places both hands on the desk and leans in, staring directly into Hiro's eyes with a suspicious gaze. "And pray tell, why can I not see my brother?"

"He's... he's insane! He won't speak, he eats like an animal, and he acts deranged!" Hiro lies, finally getting control of himself back.

Fire Lord Ozai leans back in thought. "Prison and betrayal seem to have finally broken my brother's indomitable will. I will have to see for myself, of course. Take me there at once."

Hiro stands from his chair. "Of course, my lord!" Gears turning in his head, Hiro hefts his spear up and begins to march along the path to Iroh's cell, the Fire Lord and his entourage following closely behind.

The walk is not long, and Hiro is before the sturdy steel door in no time. With one hand he wrenches the door open, holding it open for the Fire Lord to pass through.

At the same time he shouts, "See for yourself! General Iroh is insane, he's like an animal!" The small crowd of guards shuffle into the room with the Fire Lord, and Hiro follows suit once everyone has entered.

In the cell sits Iroh, but he seems so much smaller. Curled in a corner, the once-great Fire Nation general looks gaunt, his rag clothes hanging loosely from his skinny frame. His eyes, dull and sparkless, dart wildly across the room at the empty air of his cell, but at what the guards can only guess.

Hiro quietly gives a sigh of relief, for the general must have heard his shout and acted. He grits his teeth before speaking, for to truly sell the act, more must be said.

"He doesn't even respond to taunts. Look; imagine how everyone who knew you and loved you must feel now, seeing you broken like this," Hiro jeers, and though Iroh doesn't react, a stab of pain hits his heart as the words leave his mouth.