Chapter 2

Chika growls and Hiro sits up at his desk, keeping one hand on his spear leaning against the table next to him. Who would show up so late at night? A surprise inspector? Or maybe...

He relaxes when a familiar figure in silken robes strides through the door. "Here to see your uncle again?" He calls out, but the Prince seems to be focused on him instead.

A hand, pale and gloved, slams down on his desk. "Guard. Answer me a question." Two golden eyes, full of mistrust and anger, stare down at the man before him.

Hiro gives him an easy smile and leans back in his chair. "Whatever you wish, my lord."

"I told you to keep quiet about my meeting with my uncle. So how did my sister miraculously guess that I was here?!" The Prince asks, a small flame sparking around his fingertips.

Hiro shys away from the flame, confusion written in his features. "I didn't tell her, if that's what you're asking. You might be a bit hot-tempered," he eyes the still-flaming hand warily, "but I wouldn't betray Iroh. He's a good man, and I wouldn't want to see him get in trouble. Well, more than he's already in. In fact, I actually had to cover for you and take an extra shift so you wouldn't get caught!"

One hand (the non-flaming one, Hiro notes with relief) shoots out to grab Hiro's collar, and the Prince leans in close. "If I find out you're lying, then I'll make sure personally that you're deployed to the front lines of the war. Understand?" His grip tightens around Hiro's armoured collar, but he gives a small chuckle.

"I understand, my lord, but I suggest you let go of me before my armadillo-dog takes off your hand." He gestures to the corner of the room, where Chika has her haunches raised and teeth bared. "She won't attack unless I tell her to, but she's rather easy to anger." The Prince hastily releases him, and Hiro brushes himself off before getting up from his chair.

"She won't attack?" The Prince asks, still staring at Chika.

"Nope. Chika, sit!" The large armadillo-dog plops down on the ground, all of her fury and tension gone. Her tail wags, and she pants in happiness as Hiro gives her a pat on the head and coughs into his sleeve. "Would you like to pet her?" He offers, and he sees a faint glow in the Prince's eyes.

"I don't know-"

"I think she likes you, and you can give her a few treats if you want." Hiro wheedles, and the Prince caves. Chika hesitantly trots over to him, carefully sniffing his feet and circling him before plopping her rump down in front of him and wagging her tail in joy. The Prince gives her a few careful pets, and after a moment reaches further to scratch her hard shell.

Hiro smiles as the crease of anger leaves the Prince's brow, replaced by what seemed like a sense of happiness. He wordlessly hands the Prince a large bone from his pouch, who gently holds it out to Chika. The armadillo-dog, almost reverently, takes the bone in her mouth and strides over to the corner to chew on her treat,

"She's not usually this relaxed around strangers, so she must like you." Hiro breaks the silence, and the Prince turns back to him, a faint blush on his pale face.

"T-Thanks. Is she yours?" He asks, his cool demeanor slowly returning.

"Yeah, she's mine alright. I found her wandering the streets a couple years ago, so I took her in and trained her myself. She's not always here with me, though; a few of the other guards like to take her on patrols. She likes it too, it's good exercise. Let me know when you're planning on stopping by, and I'll see if I can bring her in." The Prince looks surprised at the insinuated offer, and a hint of the old anger slips back on his face again.