Chapter 17

CHARLOTTE'S POV

I stood silently next to Paul as he knocked on the door of the hotel room. Not even a few moments later, the door swung open to reveal John standing in the doorway.

"Ah, there the lovebirds are," he giggled, running back across the room to join George and Ringo on the couch.

I rolled my eyes, but couldn't help but suppress a smile. Although childish, I could tell John was good at heart, and really just a funny guy. Paul and I both walked into the room and made ourselves comfortable on the couch next to them. I glanced at Paul, not being able to take my eyes off him. The more I suffered because of the loss of Elizabeth, the more I realized how much I really needed someone like Paul by my side. He was such a help, and he didn't even know half of it.

"So what are we doing today?" I asked, interrupting the boys as they joked and laughed with each other. I swear, it was like they were all brothers. There was silence as everyone sat in thought.

"We could all go out for a walk, to the park or something," George finally suggested.

"That would be nice," I said in agreement. Paul shrugged. "If she wants to, then I want to," he said, putting his arm around me.

"So, ye two are a couple again now, huh?" John asked, smiling. "It's okay, you don't have to answer. We all already know."

Before leaving, the boys put on the phony disguises they had been wearing when I met them. "Can't be havin' fans recognizing us on our week off," John explained to me, giving me a wink. I laughed, not knowing what was funnier; John's remark or how ridiculous they all looked in those disguises. Once they were all dressed up, we made our way out of the hotel and into the fresh air. The nearest park was only a few blocks away, so walking wasn't a problem. Paul held my hand the whole way there.

I never really knew how to respond to his loving gestures. I knew how much I needed him, and I could see he needed me too, but I didn't want to drag him down with me. He was living the perfect life while I was at rock bottom. If I let him in completely, who knew how long it would be before he was down there with me?

Finally arriving at the park, we all took a seat around a picnic table.

"I haven't spent a day at a park in ages," Ringo said dreamily.

"Isn't it nice?" George said, proud to have come up with the idea to come in the first place. "You know," he said, leaning in close with a mischievous look on his face, "I brought a bit of reefer with me." John hooted.

"Alright, now it's really a day off!" he laughed, elbowing Ringo and Paul in the sides. "Whaddya say lads, eh?" Ringo and Paul began to laugh with them, but suddenly Paul stopped.

"I dunno guys, we shouldn't with Char here, it woulnd't be right..."

"Oh, no, I don't mind," I announced, turning to Paul. "In fact, I think I'll join you guys." 

This earned some more hooting from John, and Paul raised his eyebrow at me. 

"Are ye sure, love? I don't want ye to feel uncomfortable, or like you have to start doing it just because we do it..."

"Oh don't worry, I've done it before," I said as casually as possible. "It will be fun." I gave Paul a reassuring smile. Before he could say anything back, John slapped him on the back, nearly bursting with anticipation.

"You heard the lass! C'mon, lets do it!"