Chapter 3

Kanji indeed followed Sesshomaru, she knew the moment she stared into his amber eyes that he was cold at heart, she was nothing but 'hanyo' to him but it confused her at how caring he was toward his two companions. But she found that there were similar traits that the two shared. They never showed expression, maybe for different reason, but all the same they didn't let others see what was going on in their heads. They were both very strong demons and Sesshomaru noticed that she was far much stronger than his younger half brother. She was even more powerful than any full blooded demon which stocked him.

The moment the two walked back to Sesshomaru's companions, he told Kanji that if she were to follow him that she must look after the little human girl, Rin. She accepted, it was the least she could do to repay him for allowing her to follow him. And since then, it had been weeks of walking and sleeping.

Rin told Kanji about the adventures she has had with Jaken and Sesshomaru when the lord himself would dissappear at times, at first she thought Sesshomaru had left them but Rin quickly explained that Lord Sesshomaru would catch the scent of Naraku and follow it, or that maybe he had saw Kagura. Kanji listened well when Rin told her about this Kagura, when the little girl would say her name Kanji found herself growling at the name as though it was death itself.

"Miss Kanji?" Rin asked in a whisper as she, Kanji stared into the fire that was blazing at night.

"Yes Rin?" Kanji looked toward the human girl she had grown fond of waiting for her to continue.

"Will I die one day?" Kanji was shocked by the question but grew still, she knew that Jaken had fallen asleep knowing fully well that the hanyo would look after Rin. But Sesshomaru was well up on the hill behind, listening? Most likely not.

"Why do you ask such a question Rin?" She asked back, she knew how improper it was to answer a question with another question but she had to know why Rin would be so.. upset?

"Master Jaken said that one day I will die and Lord Sesshomaru will forget about me." Her knees were to her chest and her head laid on her knees. She looked so sad, so lost. Kanji stood up looking down at the child.

"Rin, come with me please." Rin nodded quickly and stood up following Kanji as she led them to the river. Both girls sat down besides the river, their feet dangling in the cool water.

"As to your question, Rin. Yes, one day you shall die. There comes a time that everything must die. But as to Sesshomaru forgetting you? I don't think he will. He had saved you, and you yourself told me that he's not nice to anyone. I think Sesshomaru was thankful for the caring act you gave him when he was injured and he cares for you as though you were his pup." Her eyes lit up with happiness as she moved her legs back and forth in the water, making the fish weave through her legs.

"And you Miss Kanji? Will you forget about me?" She might have not known her for more than two weeks, but she felt close to Rin because she had accepted Kanji, she had been nice and accepted her for who she was, not what she was.

Kanji touched the necklace that laid on her neck. Slowly she took it off and moved Rin's hair out of the way, putting it on the young girl.

"My mother had died giving birth to me, she and my father were deeply in love. And before I was born my father got this same necklace for my mother. To keep her safe incase of any attacks that came upon her. She knew she was going to pass away when giving birth to me and so she took the necklace off, she never wanted to cheat death as much as my father wanted to make sure that they were together forever, she knew and understood the balance of life. The pendent that lays on your chest Rin is a rock that will protect you from harm, from death. It was once mine, and now it shall be yours. I will never forget you Rin." The moment she was done with her story Rin threw her arms around Kanji's neck, practically sitting in her lap. Kanji could hear the soft sobs that were coming from Rin and wrapped her own arms around Rin. This was the first time she felt content with her life since her father's passing.