Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Her soft white hair blowing in the wind, Kanji followed the scent of blood that filled the air. Her strides were slow, her face held control as her chin was held high with a blank expression on her face. Her father had always taught her that she was Demon, even if she was a hanyo, she was still a demon and should be respected for that.

Her father was a great dog demon while her mother was human, Kanji's father -Daiki- was always civil toward the human race, he held no grudge against them but he did see life as demons were superior. They indeed held more power than humans. But while one night in his early twenties he heard a loud cry from a women. As he ran across the land he was so use to, a young women around late teens laid on the ground, blood spurting out from a cut on her leg.

And from her memory she could recall her father telling her how beautiful her mother was, even laying in dirt and covered in her own blood, scared and frighten. He found his soon to be little mate the most beautiful creature he had ever laid his eyes upon. He had saved her from the demon that was bent on devowering her. Soon they became best friends and he even took her on his journey across the lands. In the end the two became a couple and married.

Remembering all the memories that her father once told her brought back a sting to her heart, she felt guilt, responsible for her mothers death. Her mother didn't want to sit around in his house all the time while he made sure the lands were safe for the bringing of his daughter into the world, so she insisted on going with him. Everything was fine for nine months, the couple traveled in happiness as Kiyomi's belly grew week by week with the child that her beloved gave her.

But the night of her birth there was word that came out that the great Lord of the west, Inu no Taisho was called into battle and needed the help of her father, one of his greatest friends. Her father rushed to his friends side, both injured badly but in the mitts of battle Kiyomi had fallen into pains, the pain of being in labor with her lovely child. And even though she was alone, scared and in pain, she prayed to anyone that would hear her about protecting her husband.

By the time Daiki had return by his pregnant wife's side, she was screaming in pain with the baby only seconds away from arriving. The color in the face of his mate was drained, she looked like the living dead. As she pushed with all her strength she had left, with the encourgment of her husband she gave one last push before the little hanyo made its appearance.

"It is a girl my beloved." The great dog demon spoke as he held the little girl he always dreamed of having in his arms wrapped in his mokomoko around his little hanyo.

"Kanji." Kiyomi whispered as she took in her little girl, her dog like ears on top of the shinney white hair, the full moon on her forehead that resembled her fathers. She truly was his daughter.

"Hm?" Her husband answered, looking at the little girl in his arms.

"Her name. Her name shall be Kanji." And with that last sentence her breath passed through her lips as her body relaxed against the floor. The love of his life had passed away, giving life to their daughter. The great dog demon never wanted to cry as much as he did now as he stared at his wife, his mate not moving or breathing. The only sound in the room was from the little girl that shared his appearance but he was going to make sure her personality was all her mothers.

"Don't worry little one, I shall protect you." The dog demon said to his little daughter.

And so he raised her, he taught her about everything and even trained her himself. She was a strong half demon with the heart of her human mother. Not one day would go by without her father telling her about the great women that had giving birth to her. Even though Kanji didn't know her mother, she still loved her with everything she had. She was told of the dog demon that ruled the western lands that died also that night in the mitts of saving his own human love, Lord Inu no Taisho.