Chapter 10 part 1

The lantern flickered, casting a dancing light on the parchment beneath Jaob's fingers. The mouse-fat in the shallow dish gleamed along the bottom, barely enough to keep the flame lit. He should put it out, to preserve the wick, but he couldn't bring himself to look away.

The ruins of Glomock. That fell within the forest kingdom, if he wasn't mistaken. He traced the insignia with his forefinger. What significance did it play? And how had his father been involved? Certainty sparked his memory, it was the same marking that adorned his father's ring. The one item the man wore constantly. Jaob had spent many long days with him, studying it while his father ignored him.

It seemed almost too much of a coincidence that what he sought—the secret to the change and what caused it—was somehow hidden and guarded by his father. The man who not only banished Jaob as soon as his change was discovered, but tried to have him killed.

Jaob's lips turned down bitterly. He read the writing once more. Men's lives lost over a tiny bit of information. Useless information unless it held some power. If he could only acquire something like that for his people; maybe raise them above outcasts and objects of fear and hatred.

The problem lay in the retrieval of the secret. Should he send scouts, as he had ten years ago, before he had even changed? None of those men returned, and he had to assume that they met a similar fate to the one who sent the parchment. The only Magi who remained skilled enough to have a chance was Bane. But Bane would not blindly follow orders, as he had so recently shown. He would want to know what he sought and why. Yet so far all Jaob had was suspicion and assumptions.

He could go himself...

It was risky. Who would lead the Magi in his absence? And if none of his scouts could return, there was the threat of imminent death to consider. Was he ready to face such a trial? It would do the Magi little good if he got himself killed.

“Jaob?” a voice from outside called.

Hastily, Jaob folded the parchment and tucked it away. It was unlikely that any other Magi could even read it, but he wouldn't take any chances. He wanted something tangible to offer them. Not just a vague impression of hope.

“Come in,” he called at last.

Lon pushed aside the skin and poked his head in, choosing to leave the remainder of his body without.

“I saw your lantern burning and thought you might still be awake. There is...something interesting at the mouse enclosure. I think you might want to see it.”

“A demon?” Jaob demanded. It wouldn't be the first time a predator sought the herd.

“No, at least not that I can tell.”

His curiosity perked, Jaob stood, retrieved the lantern and followed the man out.

They walked in silence. The mouse pit sat close to the practice area, and Jaob's tent next to that. Several steps from his entrance, Jaob could make out a second lantern. A youth stood in its glow, the night shepherd most likely. Lon made his way to where the boy stood, along the barrier fence that kept the mice within the pit.