Chapter 19 part 1

Anger filled eyes glared down at Aya; she had yet to recover from her power. Looking into the faces above her, she wasn't sure she wanted to. Even those Magi who remained neutral toward her since Hamor's accusation now watched without mercy.

Guilt and shame washed through her, had she been standing she would have buckled beneath the weight of the emotions. She curled her knees toward her chest, shrinking herself as small as she was able. She did not blame them. Who could ever do anything but hate a woman with power like hers? Especially an uncontrolled power?

She closed her eyes tightly, struggling with Melak's memories, pushing them down within her mind to where she fought to manage them. Where they might be forgotten.

"Get him on a mount," Hamor called. "We need to get the second group out of here."

Nauni shuffled forward, tears hanging heavy in her wide eyes. Gently, she bent, lifting Melak into her arms. He flinched painfully when she tried to get a grip on his legs.

"What happened to my leg?" he asked, his voice tense with pain.

"We don't know, Melak, you never told us," Nauni answered softly, avoiding Aya's gaze. She carried the boy past the others, out of reach.

Nauni might be avoiding her, but Hamor was not. He watched her, a disgusted sneer planted on his lips.

"You won't believe me, but I didn't mean to...I could never hurt Melak."

"You're right, I don't believe you. And if that cursed stubborn fool had listened to me, we wouldn't be in this mess, and that boy would still be himself."

"I touched Melak," it occurred to her that she still didn't have her gloves. She must have left them at the clearing when she used her power earlier. Surreptitiously, she pulled her hands toward her body, tucking them between the fold of her knees. No need for any more accidents. "I can accept responsibility for those consequences, but I did not cause this..." She nodded to the line of mounts being loaded. "The girl responsible for this has already gone; she left with the first group."

"So you say. But you do not fool me. Jaob might be swayed by your beauty, but I am too old for such nonsense."

Swayed by her what now? The old man spouted insanity. "You have to believe me, or you put yourself...everyone in more danger. Brissa was told to keep us here. It was likely her who sent the scorpion to begin with. There is no doubt she will use her power to lead the king to those who have gone before you."

Hamor snorted his disbelief.

"Kierra, you were there, tell him," Aya pleaded desperately. She wanted to avoid blame for something she didn't do, but more was at stake than that. If Brissa succeeded, then every Magi would be slaughtered.

"I didn't see anything that pointed to Brissa," Kierra spoke for the first time since she had finished healing Melak. "I only know what you told me you saw," but a spark of uncertainty entered the woman's eyes. She had spent a good amount of time around the girl, did she remember instances that suggested guilt?

"As I thought." Hamor turned to Aya. "You had better pack your own supplies. We cannot afford to bring you with us."

Aya growled in frustration. These Magi were determined to doom themselves. How could she make them understand that they searched the wrong demon den for trouble?

"Jaob said no one was to remain behind," Kierra reminded.

"Jaob did not see this. I will not have a single other Magi end up like that child, not when I can prevent it. Jaob can challenge me later...if we survive."