➼ chapter 5; flustered and flirting

❁❁❁

❁❁❁

Two grumpy-looking men strode up to the group of fifteen, both attempting to look like Muggles, though failing miserably. Serena had to choke back a laugh at the sight of their clothes: one wearing thigh-high galoshes while the other wore a poncho and a kilt.

After the Weasleys and Maisie's group were assigned to the first field, while the Diggorys were sent to the second, the large group set off on another twenty minute walk through the seemingly deserted moor, the mist of the early morning blocking anything from view.

Finally, they reached a small cottage beside a gate, parting with Amos and Cedric Diggory. Serena could see the faint outline of hundreds of tents across a field, all the way to the edge of the woods on the other side. Excitement bubbled within her just at the sight.

"That must be Mr. Roberts, the Muggle that owns the campsite." Serena said, pointing at the man at the doorway.

Fred looked amused. "A real Muggle, you say?"

"The only one for miles, for sure." George laughed. The three watched as Mr. Weasley fumbled about with Muggle money, before Maise Mallard kindly stepped in, showing him which notes were the correct ones.

"Your Mum sure knows a whole lot more about Muggle money than Dad." George said.

Serena laughed. "Well, she ought to, being a Muggleborn and all."

"So should Dad!" Fred grinned. "You'd think he'd know how to use it, being as obsessed with Muggles as he is."

After the adults paid for the tickets, Serena waved goodbye to George, awkwardly nodding to Fred, before walking away with her family and friends. Trudging up the small hill, the cheers grew louder and louder, and when they reached the top, everyone stared in amazement as Maisie announced, "Everyone, welcome to the Quidditch World Cup!"

People of every background were milling about, talking and laughing with each other, flags of every colour waving around. The enthusiasm was practically tangible. As the six of them walked toward their tent, they whipped their heads around left and right, the brightest of grins on their faces.

"Look!" Ramona shouted, pointing at the sky as three people on brooms zoomed overhead, making them all simultaneously duck. Serena and Iyla were jumping up and down at this point, hearts swelling with happiness.

They all came to a stop in front of a small plot of land a few miles from the edge of the woods, with Maisie in front. "Other wizards insist on putting up their tents by hand, but there aren't any Muggles around, and I don't fancy physical work much, so..." Raising her wand, she magically conjured a small tent out of thin air.

Ramona tilted her head. "Er... Mrs. Mallard?"

"Maisie." Serena's mother kindly corrected.