William

May 1872

The walk home was a long one. You'd think for the status of his household they could at least send a horse for him - save his legs such strife. But no, William had to trek the dirt road back to the family mansion, groceries in hand. He approached his home, pausing for a moment's rest. When he entered, he expected to see at least one of the maids bumbling around, but the house was oddly quiet. He shrugged and made his way to the kitchen, surely the chef was around, but the kitchen was empty as well. Odd, but nothing to be too concerned about. He took it upon himself to put the groceries away, joking to himself, "What, am I going to have to make dinner too?". He meandered back to the foyer and up the ornate steps, intending to go to his room, which he hadn't been in in a couple of weeks. He would tell his family of his apprenticeship later at dinner. It was disheartening that no one welcomed him home at the door. Perhaps his mother and sister were busy.

As he passed the door to his mother's room he started at the faint sounds of hushed voices and what he thought was sobbing. He quietly cracked the door open to find his mother in shambles on the floor of the large master bedroom surrounded by two maids consoling her. He pushed the door all the way open and entered, bewildered at the sight before him. The two maids looked on as his mother leapt up and embraced him. "Oh baby you're home, thank goodness", she said, crying even harder now. "What's going on mom?", he asked. The maids gave him a rueful look. "Oh, William... It's your sister she's been- she's been missing I don't- we don't know where she's gone, my poor girl...", she cried. Will took her by the shoulders and asked, "Mom, how long has she been missing?". One of the maids answered as his mother resumed her racking sobs, "Six days, sir"'. "Where's my father?" he asked the maid. "He was on business but has taken leave to gather a search party in town..." "And?" She lowered her gaze to her feet, "Nothing yet". Will took his mother's hands forcing her to look him in the eye, "We're going to find her". Adelaide was his kid sister, only 15. She would never just take off. Something was wrong here. He marched out of the room and down the hall to Adelaide's room. The door was ajar and it seemed as though she had only just left it that morning. The bed was made, clothes on the floor, her sketches laid out next to her bed.

He needed answers and there's one person he could think of that might have them. He saddled a horse from the barn and began making his way to his sister's best friend's house. Liza and Adelaide were inseparable, she must have been the last person to see her. He knocked on the door and their maid answered. "I'm looking for Liza, may I speak with her?". "Liza is in a bad way right now. I'm sorry, you'll have to come back another time". She began to close the door but he stuck his foot in the crack before it could close. "Please, I need to speak with her, it's about Adelaide...". She thought for a moment then said, "Come in, I'll go fetch her". He entered and made his way to the parlor. He glanced around at the decor, he'd never really been in Liza's house, only escorting his sister for visits. Liza entered the room, looking disheveled and red-eyed from crying, with the maid in tow. "Can I get you two some tea?", the maid asked cautiously. "Yes, please", Will answered, equally as cautious. Liza sat before him as the maid wandered off to the kitchen. "Liza...", he started, "I have some questions about Deli I was hoping you could answer". Deli was her pet name that Liza had donned on her when they were little. A sad look washed over her face, clearly holding back tears. "You may ask them, I don't know how much I can answer''. "When was the last time you saw Deli?". She sighed and said, "It was a week ago, we were riding two of my horses in the field down the road a little ways''. "Was anything off about her? Was she talking about going anywhere?". "No...", tears began to well in her eyes, "She seemed normal, she was just like she's always been- cheerful, imaginative, mischievous..." she said this last one with a wry smile, "We talked about all of the usual things: our families, school, places we want to go, our plans to conquer the world" she chuckled. "And when she went home?...". "We said our goodbyes and planned to meet each other at the dress shop in town but... she never showed. I went to your house asking for her but they said she wasn't home. At first, I wasn't worried but after a couple of days went by your family reported her missing". Tears slipped down her cheeks as she spoke. Will reached out and held her hand, "I'm going to find her, I promise". He couldn't lie to her and promised he'd find her ok, if even alive, but he couldn't bear the thought so he put it out of his mind.