My First Demon

I could hear the loud smack from where I was walking across the mall, the wounded flinch and humiliated posture could be seen shortly after. No one bothered to look their way, because it was an everyday thing. It would be weird to not see it really, but it didn't make it any more right.

I glanced back again to double check the situation; a sigh escaped my lips from aggravation. It really was pathetic.

"Kath?" a semi-worried voice sounded from my left. I swiveled my head sharply, earning a painful kink in my neck from the sudden jar.

"Yeah?" I tried not to sound too annoyed in turn, I mean can't a girl think for once.

"Well, I mean, it's just that-" she cut her self off after that, trying not to offend me.

My parents wanted me to get my first "pet', and soon. I turned eighteen a week ago, but I didn't feel it. Most family's had their children get their first at the young age of thirteen, but I strongly refused. I hated the idea of using anything like that. It's pretty much a repeat of enslaving the African American race, except for the small fact that they're immortal. A species not of ours, and not respected in any way.

"Look Carrol, I know what they want me to do, but I won't do it. I'll find a way around it. So just don't worry about it. Okay?" My patience on the matter only had a few more strings to cut and I was gonna blow.

She let a small smile slide on her face before nodding in return. She turned to her own 'pet', Jeffrey, and started conversing with him. I let one of my own smiles show before glancing around. That's why I love Carrol. She treated Jeffrey like the closest friend. In a way they were, they've known each other for 3 years. Her parents made her get one at the age of 15 and have been with one another for years. I respected both of them, they were one of the few who did have a good relationship.

My good mood dropped though at the thought of going home, my dad wouldn't let the matter go. Everything I tried to avoid the subject would be worthless because it would always come up again. Yet I had to face it eventually.

"Carrol, I think I'm gonna head back." I flashed her a quick twitch of the lips, which she returned with a quick goodbye, before heading to the parking lot. I reached my 6 year-old blue Honda, driving the longer 20 minute route home, trying to stall as much as possible.

When I open the front door I was greeted with the sight of both my parents sitting at the head of the dining room table. Oh god, I thought. I quickly re-routed my direction to the stairs, away from the table.

"Stop right there Catherine Bents." I could hear my father's voice echo round the space between us. Crap.

I slowly turned around putting a formal smile on my face before replying, "Yes?"

"We're going to head out in a few minutes." I could tell by his voice it was a no-bull shit kind of time. Too bad I think it is.

"Oh well, have fun." I turned around with haste determined to make it too the stairs as fast as possible but ended up running into Vince, my dad's pet. Vince was a werewolf and extremely loyal, although he had is dignity ripped away.

I sighed, put my emotions in check and decided to get this over with, I walked slowly back toward my parents.

"We are going to pick out your new servant today, and that's final." I inwardly cringed at the sentence, knowing he wasn't going to make any more room for squeezing out of this one.

My eyes dropped in resignation, determined not to speak and forced myself to follow them to our families black SUV, hopping in the back seat and stubbornly turned my body to the window and kept my face form being seen.

I could feel my mother's tired eyes on me, silently willing me to forgive them. Pft.

We arrived at S&B's Trader Shoppe in about 30 minutes and not without that long awkward turtle silence the whole ride there. As soon as we parked in many of the open parking spaces I rammed the door open, slipped out, and slammed in record time earning me a strong disapproving glare from my father. We made our way in the large ware-house type of building, no one daring to break the tense silence that had developed.

"Hello there! What can we do for you today, sir?" The register person spoke as we approached.

It was silent for a moment until my mother said, "We are here to let our daughter pick out her first, uh, 'pet'." My silent vow not being broken anytime soon.

            The register looked my way for a second before motioning for us to follow. "We have many types of useful species that just came in today, actually. Would you like to see them?" I didn't bother to acknowledge that he said anything to me, that was until my dad stepped on my heel. I hissed in pain and tightly nodded my head.

            He led us to a small section in the back and opened a steel door; it let out a high pitched squeak as it swung out. All four of us stepped in as the register turned the lights on.

I took in a slight intake of breath as I saw all the creatures trapped in this tiny ass room. Yet, a small movement out of the corner or my eye caught my attention. I swung my head to the right and what I saw literally took my breath away.

It was the most beautiful man I had ever seen.