Close to Home

I took a sharp intake of breath, he literally took my breath away. His short hair, which looked like a dark brown, was cut close to the head. Although he was wearing what looked like muddied rags, it didn't take away from the firm body that was hidden underneath. A small kind of shyness took over me right then, and I had to look away.

So, I looked over to my father, who was inspecting the immortal beings like they were trash. With a fustrated sigh, I directed my gaze back to the beautiful creature and pointed,"How much for this man?"

After a moment of silence, the Register came over to me and stated loud enough for the man to hear,"Are you sure? This creature has been quite the vicious one."

I looked at him and glared. "You heard me."

With a final glance at the mysterious man, who was now giving me a hard glare, I walked back down the hallway to the main checkout

.

While I sat there by myself waiting for my parents and the new addition to my torture to come out, I couldn't help but think to myself. What if he tries to rape me? What if they hurt him? What if I am too attracted to him in the first place?

I shook my final thought away as they returned, the man chained, walking behind them.

"This is Jacob. He is a Shape Shifter demon, one of the last in this area. He happens to have a fiery temper, so watch yourself." ,said the Register. Almost as if to make a point, as the Register reached to undo the clasp on Jacobs ear, Jacob snapped his teeth in defience at his fingers. The Register cursed, pulled back and punched him square in the chest. I gasped as he fell to floor, eyes closed and mouth clenched.

"Someone get him the hell outta my shop." said an angry voice, and I watched as two big security men hulled Jacob up and out of the door to our SUV.

My dad pulled me along too and we all got back in the car. I was seated right next to the new stranger permanently implemented into my life. To say it was an awkward ride home would have been an understatement. I couldn't bring myself to look at him, but I just knew he was giving his cold stare out the window, ignoring the rest of us.

By the time we arrived back at my family mansion, I was all but willing to get out of the cramped back seat.

"Catherine." I looked up at the sound of my name and locked eyes with my dad.

"Why don't you show him to his quarters." said my dad, even though I knew it was an order, not a request.

"Sure." I replied, with a sugar sweet coating to my voice, giving him a tight, fake smile.

Jacob finally looked at me again with a glare of what could only be acceptance, so I walked off up the path to the front door, comforted by the fact that he was following.

As we neared his room, which was evidently right next to mine, I started to get nervous. I didn't know why, but I really wanted him to like his room. So when I opened the door, I looked over his shoulder and said,"Welcome to your humble Adobe."