Chapter Seven

Chapter 7

The next morning is strange. First thing is that I wake up on the floor. I must have fallen off in my sleep and not noticed. Strange thing number two: I look in the mirror, and I forgot to take my makeup off last night. So not only did I sleep like a hobo, but I look like one too. And the third, strangest thing is that there is noise coming from downstairs, specifically in the kitchen.

Now I know that doesn't seem strange, but I live alone. So yes it is a little strange.

Being the brave soul that I am I decide to go investigate. So slowly and quietly I creep down the stairs, I round the corner that leads to the kitchen and see a woman in a dress suit. She's hopelessly trying to collect all the pans around her while juggling a carton of eggs.

I let out a giggle and suddenly the woman jumps, startled and one by one eggs are cracking on the linoleum floor. She makes eye contact with me and quickly drops the pans too and rushes over to me.

"MOM!" I yell as she tackles me in a huge bear hug. My mom has been away on business for the past two months. Her boss sent her somewhere overseas and so phone service was super shitty.

"Hey sweetie. I missed you so much!" mom says as she finally releases me. I take in her appearance, her hair is slightly longer, a little bit lighter and her skin is darker too.

"I didn't know you were coming home today! I missed you too mom." She gives me one more hug before returning to her mess. I bend down to grab up all the pans as she gets a rag and takes to cleaning the eggs off the floor.

"I know, I'm sorry I didn't call. I just had really bad service, so I figured I'd surprise you with some breakfast this morning, but now I'm thinking we should just go out instead..." she trails off as she looks at the mess that's left.

"I think so too" I laugh and stand up. "I'm going to go get ready" and I take off to the bathroom.

"10 minutes!" She shouts up to me. Yeah right.

About half an hour later my mom and I are ordering breakfast at the local diner. I ordered French toast and mom orders pancakes.

"So how was your trip mom?" I ask once we're all settled in. My mom is always going on business trips for the company she works for, usually she's gone for a couple days at a time. Two months is the longest she's ever been gone before and I didn't realize how much I had missed her.

"It was okay, nothing special. You know I hate leaving you home alone." She looks down at me apologetically.

I know my mom is doing the best she can, and she's a great mom too. I just wish she was around more.

"It's okay mom. I understand. And besides, I'm not alone. Aaron's family is right next door, if I need anything they're there." With that moms face lights up like a candle and the biggest grin comes across her face.

"Speaking of Aaron, how are you two?" She winks at me, making me extremely uncomfortable. I know what she's thinking, she has always rooted for Aaron.

"Mom" I groan. "We're just friends that's all." I secretly root for Aaron too though.

"Oh bologna, maybe for now. But I see the way you look at him." She winks again, each time gets a little weirder. So I proceed to tell my mom all about how Aaron is dating my arch nemesis and how I went on a date with Will and how Ryan finally asked out Cleo.

"Wow I really missed a lot didn't I?" She looks kind of sad again, but perks herself back up with a different question. "So who's this Will guy?"

And I launch into my adventures from last night.