Chapter 5

(Hayden's POV)

"W-, how? You?" My mind couldn't process what my eyes were seeing and I had lost the ability to speak.

"There's a lot to explain," Casey began. "Ryder could you leave us alone for a bit? Please?"

"No." Ryder and Casey turned to face me. "Whatever you have to say you can say with him here. I'm not sure I can trust you at this point."

"I saved your life so I'm pretty sure you can trust me." she said crossing her arms. I stared at her.

"Fine... Long story short, I'm your cousin." Again I stared but then surprised everyone by laughing.

"Oh no no no you can't possibly be my cousin. Besides a psychotic father I have no other living relatives. Otherwise I would never have had to live with that awful foster family."

Casey gave me a sympathetic look that was also filled with shame.

"You're serious?" I asked disbelieving. She shook her head yes.

"Hayden you have blood relatives. Shouldn't you be happy?" Casey asked cautiously. I looked down at the ground.

"I don't know. You tell me Casey. You have been my neighbor all this time- no you have been my cousin all this time! And you have said nothing till now?!"

"We weren't supposed to interfere."

"Interfere! That's exactly what you should have done!" I screamed standing up. "I have been teased, mistreated, not had a single person love me my entire life and you just stood by and watched?!"

"Hayden you have to understand-"

"No you understand! Why would I want anything to do with you now after what I've just learned!"

"I tried becoming your friend..."

"I'm an insecure person who's never had a real friendship her entire life and you thought it was going to be that easy and that all you would do is try to become a friend!"

"I stopped you from committing suicide!" Casey yelled.

"You tried what?!" Ryder said shocked looking at me.

"Yes I tried," I said responding to him. "And that would never have happened, Casey, had my so-called cousin and her family taken me in! If you cared about me like you're saying you do, that's what you would have done!"

"Hayden I-"

"Will leave me alone!" I said storming out of the room. I heard some footsteps behind me not a second later.

You've got to be kidding me.

I broke into a run and rushed down the stairs but Casey was still hot on my trail. I yanked open the back doors and ran outside. The tree line was right there. I could just slip into the forest and wait her out.

No. This was my new home and if anyone was going to leave, it was her. I stopped and spun around.

"Just stop! Leave me alone! I want nothing to do with you!" My blood was boiling, my heart was racing, my hands clenched into fists, I had never felt such strong emotions so far. Hurt, betrayal, confusion, anger, sadness. Casey looked at me with new alarm. Ryder tore through the door and his expression mimicked Casey's.

"Hayden, I need you to control your emotions, now." Casey warned.

I was fuming. I could feel the heat radiating off my body. I felt like I could explode. Something was going on inside me and it was burning like a fire.