19: Storytime

Recap: Rowan spent an entire day magically beating the shit out of his "mate", or should we say MATE! Celaena gets back into the kitchen and gets into a weird conversation/confrontation with Malakai, where he warns her not to cause any trouble for Emrys. Some excerpts from HoF used. 

As Malakai left, leaving behind a tense silence, Emrys sighed. "My mate means well, lass, but you're a stranger, and from Adarlan."

Celaena nodded. She understood where Malakai was coming from and she didn't mind, truly. He wanted her to stay away from Emrys, and she was planning on that anyway. It was not the time to be making attachments. 

Since that fateful day when she met Rowan on the rooftop, she had been confused--guilty, even. As much as she'd tried to bury her past, the appearance of her mate had brought so many feelings to the surface--guilt at leaving her home, this constant plague of inadequacy at being Rowna's mate--for what could she give him? 

Outside, thunder rumbled, and gusts of cold wind swept into the kitchen.

She had nothing. Rowan was the soulmate of a princess who did not exist. And he knew it, he knew and he hated her for it. 

Each thought pushed her deeper into a pit of despair.

"Pass me that flour, Luca!" 

In a way, Rowan and Chaol were the same. They saw her as she was, and they hated her. Good. She was not t make attachments.

"Elentiya, get the yeast!"

Emrys was cooking rabbit stew today, ones especially caught by the new recruits for this occasion. The stew would be accompanied by freshly baked rolls of bread and some roast potatoes. The recruits  had been learning to hunt and fend for themselves in the forest. Picking herbs and hunting game was part of life here, since civilization was miles away--and quite unfriendly to demi-fae. 

After the potatoes were done, she and Luca threw them into the stew and left some for roasting. Emrys portioned out the dough and put the rolls into the oven. Soon the food was done and carried into the dining hall, leaving Celaena and  Luca to clean up the pots and pans. 

They both dug into the food first with relish, having worked harder than usual today. Emrys did have very good food, fit for a King...and now the mention of royalty brought her back to that dark place again. Wonderful. 

Sooner than she'd have liked, the food was gone and only dirty plates remained. 

Luca groaned. "I was hoping there'd be seconds today! Rabbit stew is just too good for a single serving!"

Emrys chuckled. "Just wait for the dining hall food to come down, they always have extras."

"Noo," Luca wailed dramatically, "Not for rabbit stew, they don't! And especially when its raining, Emrys, they'll be dying to sip on it while its story time!" 

"Don't lose hope, lad."

Storytime? 

A few minutes later, demi-fae came in with some bowls full of food--including rabbit stew. 

Luca perked up and turned to her. "Elentiya, stay for story time! We have stew!"

Celaena had to admit, the stew was good.  She shrugged non-committally and  waited to see what this storytime fuss was about. 

One by one, demi fae came inside and found a seat somewhere. Celaena wove her way to the back, where the entrance was. If it wasn't good, she could just leave. 

Some of the fae would give her looks; none would approach her though. A young male kept trying not to outright stare at her as he came in; she didn't know what to make of that. Another one found her eyes as he walked in, and she squarely met them. He looked as though he'd realized something, huffed and turned up his nose, as though he was an aristocrat or something. All of that happened within a few seconds. Fae males were so confusing. 

More demi-fae trickled in, arranging the table in a sort of seat, and  it was a good thing she'd moved, because the front was completely crowded. 

"Emrys is a storyteller too," Luca whispered next to her. 

Celaena looked up and he grinned.

"He tells stories when it's raining, just about the only entertainment you'd get around here."

"I see." 

Luca smiled again "I'll be at the front, then" 

She nodded Luca moved forward to sit with a pretty girl his age. 

When it seemed the kitchen could hold no more people, Emrys cleared his throat and shushed the chattering crowd. 

It took a while, but all was finally quiet, and Emrys began the story of a Prince and Princess of two rival countries, two mates who knew each other at first sight. 

Ah, such a fairytale. 

The rain got stronger and the thunder roared outside. Inside it was warm, if a little chilly in her corner. Celaena did not think she would be interested in this story, but Emrys spoke in such a skillful way that it was almost magical. She could see the mountains he spoke of; feel the ugly stares which followed the Prince for daring to declare his love for his mate. In the end, the Prince and Princess convinced their countries to live in peace, and they married and ruled both realms together. 

It was a sweet story, full of silly impossible things. 

And she ignored Luca when he smiled at her, gesturing to the soup, while Emrys sternly reminded him that Celaena was not to do any washing till further notice...

She was not to make attachments, and sometimes...it was painful.

A/N: My dumb ass forgot I even wrote this chapter ages ago lmao. I spent two days panicking and writing another one. And another one. We call Rowan a dumb bird, but who's the real dumb idiot? Me. It's me. 

Thanks for making this story go #1 on the Throne of glass tag, guys. That was completely unexpected, and I'm very shocked, and very grateful for your love and support. (And Heaven knows an idiot like me needs every bit of it!) You'll get another update this week.