Chapter Eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN

The next boarder arrived shortly after Jenny drove off with her dad. Loni Kaski, a girl who had just recently moved to Canada from Montana, USA dropped off a stunning chestnut mare, who seemed a bit upset about the move. Otherwise, if I hadn't broken my shoulder, it probably would have been an amazing day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ok, everyone. Gather round, gather round." My dad herds into a small circle and picks up a pair of deadly sharp scissors.

"One, two...three!" My dad slices the red ribbon in front of the barn in half, while the rest of us cheer. "We are officially open!"

Right away, Mom begins to task and organize us. "Robin, I need you to bring in the horses. Kaya, make sure that the tack is ok. Riley, I want you to clean up the fields. The kids arrive here in fifteen minutes, so hurry, hurry, hurry!"

I sprint up to the barn, and grab the halters as fast as I can. Mom has left me to decide which horses the kids will use. Loni will obviously be on her mare, Rass and Jenny on Night. Which leaves the rest of the horses. Finally, I decide on Havoc, Sage and Harley. Those three should make a good selection for the kids.

Mom rushes past me as I lead the horses to the barn. "Decided on those three?"

"Yeah," I nod. "They work really well together, and I think they'll be good beginner mounts."

"Ok, well get them to their stalls. They're coming in a few minutes!" I rush back to the barn, horses in tow, and place then in their stalls just as the first kid arrives. Earlier this morning, we put up a sign directing them towards the barn, and I can see the family making their way up. Deciding to be a welcoming host, I meet them halfway up the hill.

"Hi! Welcome to our stable," I smile. "Are you ready to ride?"

The boy looks up at me and smiles. "Yep! Do I get to ride a horse really soon?"

"You sure do. Follow me up here to the stable." The family walks after me into the barn.

"What horse will he be placed on?" The mom asks, and walked up and down the aisle.

"That depends on how much experience he has. Once all the other kids get here, we'll talk about riding levels and such, then they can choose their horses. Two of the girls board their horses...in fact, I think you are the only boy so far!"

The kid immediately widens his eyes. "So I'll be stuck with a bunch of stupid girls?"

"Andy!" his mother scolds. "Girls aren't stupid."

"They can be a little," I whisper to him. Then, in a normal voice add, "but my little brother whose four is going to be participating along with another boy, Kenny. He's just a few years younger than you. I think he's six."

"That's cool," he nods his head. "Will the other kids get here soon?"

"Yep. Hey, I got to run down to the house," I say to the parents. "Is it ok if you wait here?"

"That's fine." His mom smiles. I return the grin and then run down to the house, and find my mom in the kitchen.

"Um, the boy Andy arrived. The rest should be here fairly soon, correct?" I ask, and rest on the doorframe.

"Yep, Jenny called to say that she's going to be here right..." Mom is distracted by a noise outside the window. "Here she is now! Go meet her."