Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN

"Come on, Robin," Mom sighs, and eyes my sling. "Talk to me."

"No." I scowl, and stare out the window.

Mom breathes in deeply and places a hand on my knee. "I know that breaking your shoulder is rotten luck-"

"Tell me about it!" I interrupt. "This is setting me back by weeks! I'll fall behind in my riding, not to mention we open tomorrow!"

"I know you're upset," Mom says slowly. "But the riding program will be fine. Between Dad, Kaya and I we'll be fine for the time that you have that broken shoulder. Don't worry about if honey."

"Are you going to sell Hecate?" I ask finally. The chances of them selling her are unlikely, but since I fell off, and she'll be used as a kids riding horse, they might want to. And really, she's a sweet horse.

"Why would we sell her?" Mom frowns as the truck crawls slowly up the driveway. "Cause you fell off? That wasn't the horses fault. It's not like she purposely threw you."

"Ok, I'm just making sure."

Kaya is already waiting by the house, concern drawn tight upon her face. She literally attacks me with questions as I jump out of the truck. "Are you OK? Did you break it? Does it hurt? When can you ride again?"

"Kinda, yea, slightly and I'm not to sure." I sigh, and answer her rampage of inquires.

"Kaya, leave your sister alone. She's had a rough day." Mom saves me. I shoot her a thankful look, and brush past Kaya and into the house.

"Whoa!" Riley says incredulously as I walk into the kitchen. "Did you break a bone?"

"Nope." I say, popping the P.

"Then why do you have a big sling?" He asks, confused.

"Why do you think? Riley, of course it's broken!" I practically shout, and stomp upstairs to my room. I feel bad for snapping at my little brother. It's not his fault that my shoulder was broken. Taking a deep breath, I flop down on my bed, wincing as my shoulder hits the mattress. Someone knocks on my door. "Come in!" I yell.

Riley opens the door and shyly walks in. "Can you give me a riding lesson?"

I stare at him in disbelief. "Right now?"

My little brother shifts uncomfortably. "Yeah...please?"

Sighing, I pull at my hair, while Riley stands anxiously underneath the doorframe. "Fine," I wave my hand, "go wait in the barn."

"Which one?"

"The one with the lesson horses. Don't go in any stalls without me," I warn and quickly access myself. With my free hand, I should be able to put my hair in a messy bun. Putting on a sweater may be a problem. Although the rain has slowed, it's still trickling slightly, cutting wind still swirls around outside the house. "And bring your helmet!"

Riley groans and crosses his arms. "Why cant I wear a cowboy hat like you when I ride?"

"We've been over this before Riley. You aren't good enough to ride without a helmet yet. In a year or two you can ditch the helmet and we'll get you a hat ok? But for now, safety first," I explain. "See my shoulder? The same thing could happen to your head if you don't protect it."

"I get it, I get it," he says irritably.

"Good. So go!" Riley leaves to the barn, and I am free to a few moments of silence. It takes me a while to get my brain in order. Even though I have a broken shoulder, it doesn't mean that I can't help set up for the lessons. I can still groom horses, and show kids how to tack them up. Fields will still be able to get cleaned. Feeding the horses shouldn't be a problem. Riding is the only major hardship, unless I'm on Wren. The spectacular mare is so sensitive that even the slightest pressure from my leg, so light that a human would barely feel it, causes her to turn. Sighing, I wrap an elastic around my hair to keep it out of my eyes.