Not As It Seems

When Celest awoke next, her head was throbbing. The skin on her back in the space between her wings seared. "Good morning, my lady. Would you care for some tea?" Sebastian said from her bedside.

At first, Celest was startled to find a demon waiting on her. Then she remembered the deal and her heart began to hurt on top of everything else. Still, as she watched the steamy brown liquid steadily stream into the dainty teacup from the kettle, her little wings twitched curiously. "What's that? I've never had tea before," she said, scooting closer to get a better look.

"It's a warm drink made from special leaves. It's very good. would you like some?" Sebastian said, offering her the cup.

Celest nodded enthusiastically and eagerly took the cup from him. "Careful, it's hot," Sebastian cautioned. No sooner than he said this had Celest cried out. "Now what did I tell you, my lady?" Sebastian chided gently. "Here, I suppose I should cool it off for you," he said, leaning down to blow on the surface of her tea. With one gust of breath, the curling steam was gone.

Celest took a sip of her tea. Her eyes widened and her wings shivered. "Problems, my lady?" Sebastian said, not bothering to conceal his smirk.

"This is delicious, Sebastian!" Celest said, eyes wide with wonder.

Sebastian chuckled. "I'm glad you find it to your liking, my lady. Would you like milk or sugar with it?" he said.

"Milk? Sugar?" Celest said, puzzled by the strange new words.

"Yes," Sebastian said, holding out a sugar cube for her to examine.

Celest took it from him and held it up to the light that was pouring in from the window. "It's so small and shiny!" she said in delight.

"Taste it," Sebastian encouraged.

Celest touched her tongue to the glittering white cube. "Oh! Sweet!" she said in surprise.

"Would you like some in your tea? It makes it sweeter," Sebastian said, smirking at her innocence.

Celest nodded energetically. "Yes, please!"

Celest finished her tea and Sebastian took the cup from her and disappeared downstairs, leaving Celest alone to think. Fear and guilt crashed over her like sudden waves and tears filled her now baby blue eyes. "Oh, God, I'm so sorry!" she cried. "I'm so lost and scared right now. I don't even know if You can hear me now. I should have come to You instead of trying to take this on my own. I'm just one small angel with no special powers and no idea what I'm doing." Nothing. Celest could not hear the voice of her Almighty Lord, nor could she feel His presence. There was no sign at all that God was with her. He had turned His back on her. She was all alone. No, not alone; she had the demon. Celest began to sob. She was to be eternally separated from God, the property of Satan.

Speak of the Devil (quiet literally), Sebastian entered the room to stop short and stare at her disapprovingly. Celest looked up at him with tears streaming down her pretty face, shocked at being found crying like this. "You must hate me for separating you from your home," he stated bluntly.

Celest wiped the tears from her eyes. "No, I don't hate you. Hatred isn't an emotion we angels can feel," she said, though she couldn't meet his gaze.

"Well, regardless, you'll just have to suck it up. You chose this on your own, and besides, you have a job to do," Sebastian said matter-of-factly. There was no sympathy in his red gaze.

"I guess... But do you ever miss it, Sebastian?" Celest said, looking up at him earnestly. He stared blankly, so Celest decided to expand on her question. "Heaven. You were an angel once, right? Do you ever wish you could just go back and do it all over again?" Celest said, fixing her gaze on him intently.