Chapter 7: The Fortress Entrance

The guardians ship touched down about two hundred feet from the entrance to the fortress. The three guardians took cover behind some trees and surveyed the base. "Looks like there's about twenty Hive troops down there." Garter whispered.

The group crouched in silence, watching the Hive soldiers stalk around the spiked door that served as the entrance to the fortress.

"How about we give them a heads up we're here?" Kel said, grinning. A shimmering gold grenade appeared in his hand, and he threw it high above their heads.

Jel reached behind him and pulled out the Golden Beetle and fired a single shot at the grenade. The bullet hit the grenade, detonating it. An explosion of orange sparks lit up the sky.

The Hive soldiers snapped there heads frantically to look up at the sky. They didn't see Garter and Kel charging towards them until it was too late.

Garter opened fire with his auto rifle, while Jel blasted a stream of lightning at the Hive.

The Hive returned fire, but were quickly downed by Kel, who had snuck up behind them.  Garter ran up and delivered a swift punch to the last Hive soldier guarding the door.

"Well, this is it." Kel said. He turned to look at Jel, who had his gun at the ready. He turned to look at Garter, who had just finished reloading his rifle. Kel reloaded his hand cannon with a flourish, and kicked open the door.