Chapter 14: Returning Home

Arthur banged Merlin hard against one of the walls just outside his chambers. His eyes were clouded with anger. "Arthur, it's not what you think." Merlin struggled to say as his back made a loud thump against the hard brick wall. The furious King brought his hand up to Merlin's slim neck and grasped it hard pushing him even further against the wall.

Merlin's eyes filled with fear and confusion; he had never seen Arthur this angry before. He brought his own hands up to Arthur's and tried to pry him off. Arthur's jaw was still ridged with pure anger and his grip tightened making it hard for Merlin to breathe, less talk.

"Really...." Arthur groaned as he stepped closer to his manservant. His eyes searched Merlin's panicked expression as if trying to catch him in a lie. He brought his face just inches from Merlin's, their lips slightly touching. Arthur moved his lips slowly towards Merlin's ear and nicked at the soft skin under it. He whispered with pure distaste, "I know what I saw Merlin."

Merlin had to struggle to hear; the lack of air was making his head dizzy and fogging his vision. His hands, still clasping Arthur's in an attempt to free his hold, tightened as his lungs did the same. Arthur moved back and relaxed his grip just enough to allow air back into his lungs, Merlin breathed it in greedily.

"Merlin I won't..." Arthur started to say, his voice still low and deep with fury, when someone called out to him from behind. He quickly released his hold on Merlin and turned around gathering his composure as best as he could. "Arthur, it is great to see that your manservant is well and about. I hope this means that you will be closing the details on the treaty today." Lord Godwyn commented as he nodded to one of the members of his council and handed him a scroll. The man retreated down the corridor with the scroll, leaving Lord Godwyn alone with Arthur and Merlin.

"Of course, I must return to Camelot and will be leaving after the meeting is concluded." Arthur replied, his tone now back to normal. "I hope you do not take offense at my absence in your feast tonight." He awkwardly smiled; Merlin's presence, just a few inches behind him, was making it hard for him to keep his emotions under control. He could hear Merlin rub his neck trying to ease the discomfort there and it reminded Arthur of what he had just been doing.

"Nonsense, its settled then. Join me for breakfast; we can discuss other matters while we eat." Lord Godwyn addressed Arthur as he led the young King down the hall and towards the dining hall. Arthur paused for a moment and called over his shoulder "Merlin you will wait in my chambers until I get back." The look he gave his manservant left no room for arguing. Merlin was unable to give any type of response, the anger in Arthur's earlier words still rang in his ears and his neck reminded him of just how much his King was unlike himself.

As they disappeared around one of the many corners that made up the castle, Merlin quietly turned around and entered Arthur's chambers with a heavy heart. He took the dirty plates and after a short hesitation left to wander the castle grounds for the kitchens, it would be a while before Arthur returned. This time he was lucky enough to bump into one of Lord Godwyn's servants and was given directions to the kitchens. The servant was even kind enough to let him know where he could get the items he needed to prepare a bath.

His body really longed for a bath and his head was filled with guilt and worry as he brought in the water and poured it into the bath. Up until now, Arthur hadn't acted like he had just moments ago. Sure there had been times when Arthur had snapped at Merlin, but not once had he intentionally hurt him. Was the potion taking a bad turn? If it was so, he had to confront Evelyn soon if he hoped to make the correct antidote to cure Arthur. Merlin sadly stared back towards the now full bath and whispered his usual incantation to heat the water.