Chapter 10

Lauren's POV

"Well, Ms. Lopez. We're going to need to put a couple of stitches in the cut above your eye, and then you're going to need a cast on that broken wrist of yours. It's lucky you don't need surgery for that one," the doctor said before leaving the room to get the stitches and cast ready.

I sighed and turned to Joey. "I'm an idiot," I said and he laughed.

"No, you're not. You're just clumsy. What were you doing on your phone anyway?" he asked.

"I was messaging you to tell you I was on my way back and would meet you at the beach," I mumbled.

Joey shook his head with a smile on his face. "Oh Lo, what am I ever going to do with you?" he asked.

Once I had been stitched up and the cast was set, I was allowed to go home. Joey drove me back to the campsite so I could get changed and get my beach stuff before we headed down to the beach. He parked the car and I got out carefully.

"What was it you wanted to tell me earlier?" I asked, turning to look at him.

He smiled, "It doesn't matter now," Joey said as he shook it off.

I frowned, "No, come on. Tell me," I said, taking his hand in mine.

Joey sighed and I could tell he was thinking about what to say. "Lauren. You are the most incredible girl I think I've ever met. You're smart, funny, talented, and so god damn beautiful. I know we're supposed to be just friends, but I don't want that any more. I love you, Lo," he said.

I couldn't quite believe I was hearing this. I was speechless. Joey's hand moved to my face to wipe the tears I didn't know had fallen. I looked up at him, my eyes wide and a smile plastered on my face. "I want us to be together. I want to wake up and see your beautiful face every morning. I want to be there as a shoulder to cry on when you've had a bad day. I want to make you laugh every day of your life, because your laugh is the most wonderful thing. I want to-" he said, but I cut him off by wrapping my arms around his neck.

"Just shut up and kiss me already," I said. The gap between us closed instantly and Joey held me close to him. His hands moved to my waist and held me tightly as I stretched up to reach his lips. Kissing him felt amazing. It felt perfect.

We pulled apart and I giggled slightly. "I love you too, JoJo. And I think I always have," I said as he pulled me into a hug.

The two of us made our way towards where the others were. We walked hand in hand for a little while before we dropped them so the others didn't know what was going on.

"Hey guys," I said as we approached them.

"Lauren! What the fuck happened to you?" Jaime said, noticing the stitches and cast I was now wearing.

"Long story short. I fell while on my walk and cut my face and broke my wrist. But I'm fine," I said with a smile.

The group rolled their eyes and Joey and I joined them sat on the beach. When everyone got up to go to the sea, I stayed behind. I didn't feel like getting in the water, and I knew I couldn't with the cast.

Joey hung back for a few moments to let the others go ahead. "Are you sure you're going to be ok here?" he asked and I nodded.

"I'll be fine, JoJo. Go have fun," I said. He kissed my forehead, then my nose and finally my lips before turning away and going to catch up with the others.

I watched everyone from a distance before grabbing my book from my bag. It took all I had to not watch Joey all the time. I managed to lose myself in my book, and before I knew it, the voices of my friends surrounded me.

"Good book?" Joey asked, taking a seat next to me.

I smiled, "yeah. Good swim?" I asked and he nodded.

We stayed on the beach for a few more hours before deciding to head back. When we arrived, everyone headed for a shower. I stayed behind, having not been in the sea. I smiled when I saw Joey running back towards me.

"We've got like two minutes before the guys come back," he said, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into him. We kissed briefly before breaking apart, conscious of the fact that our friends could be back any second.

"I still can't get my head around this," I said, looking up at him.

"What? That you're dating a devastatingly handsome man, such as myself," he said, causing me to laugh.

I rolled my eyes, "No. That I'm kissing my best friend. But I guess it is a good thing that he is devastatingly handsome," I said, reaching my hand up to his chest, but jumping backwards when I saw the boys walking towards us.

"Lo?" he questioned and I motioned for him to turn around. He nodded in understanding and we carried on as if nothing was happening.

It was very hard for me to keep my distance from Joey. I had to pretend nothing was different, when instead all I wanted to do was curl up in his arms.

"How's the pain, Lo?" Joey asked after dinner.

I smiled, "it's not too bad thanks. I think I might go and take some painkillers though," I said, standing up and walking over to the tent. I had a plan.

I pretended to be looking for my bag for a few moments, before calling out to Joey. "JoJo, have you seen my bag?" I called. He walked over to me and followed me back into the tent.

"Lo, it's right there," he said pointing to the bag that had been in front of my face all along.

"I know," I whispered before pulling him in for a kiss.

When we pulled apart, Joey smiled at me. "You're sneaky, Lopez," he whispered. He headed out to join the others and I took the painkillers before following him back to the others.

It was soon time time to head to bed, and Joey and I couldn't stop smiling at each other. We said goodnight to the others and hurried off into the tent. We both got ready and climbed into our sleeping bags, me snuggling up to him as per usual.

"Night, baby," Joey whispered, kissing my head.

I smiled at the nickname. "Night, babe," I said as I grabbed a fistful of his shirt. My head was resting on his chest, and Joey's arm was around me, holding my tightly to him. His hand brushed under the hem of my shirt, stroking my bare skin gently until I fell asleep.

••••••••

So this is one of my favourite chapters!

Thank you so much for reading!

E xo