Chapter Four: Trouble in Paradise

An urgent knock on the front door causes me to jump. The papers on my lap fall to the ground, fluttering all over the place. I step over them, rubbing sleep from my eyes as I blindly make my way over. The knocking continues, progressively getting louder. I manage to unlock and throw the door open before the knocking wakes everyone in the house up.

Standing on the porch is a disheveled looking Sunny. He has Mathias slung over his shoulder and is hunched over from his weight.

"What happened, is he alright?" I rush forward, ducking under Mathias's other arm to take some of the pressure off Sunny. Mathias is heavy, very heavy.

"He got drunk and jumped off a cliff." Sunny spits angrily and my heart drops into my stomach.

"Is he okay?" I ask, concerned for a moment. Jumping off a cliff is serious, but he doesn't look hurt.

"He's fine, he'll be sore in the morning." Sunny tells me through his teeth, his usual smiling face contorted with anger.

I haven't seen or heard from Mathias since he left to visit with other Alphas in our tribe. Drinking? Alcohol is banned on reservation to combat the alcohol abuse problem we've been having. How did he even get it? Sunny and I drag Mathias into the house and dump him on the ground. He makes a loud thump and groans in response, but does not wake up. I roll him onto his back so he doesn't drown in his own vomit before turning to Sunny.

He's infuriated, "He made us look like fools in front of Alpha Atlas and his family. We will be lucky if they don't wage war on us."

I look down at Mathias, disappointed in his behavior. "I'm sure when he sobers up, he'll fix it."

"He's not going to sober up, Ridley. He's an alcoholic, and has been for two years." Sunny looks disgusted with his best friend.

I frown, two years. Two years, he's been drinking. Did his father now? Does his mother and brothers? He hides it so well, I never would have imagined Mathias of all people. His father led the war on alcohol abuse on the reservation. His entire family is full of advocates, all fighting the war on drug and alcohol abuse on reservations.

"I have to get home, I'm exhausted."

I open my mouth, only to be interrupted by the sound of vomiting. Sunny kicks the bottom of Mathias's boot angrily and hurries out of the door. He sends me a pitiful look right before he closes the door behind him. I look at Mathias and all I feel is anger. Not only had he made a fool of himself, he made a fool of Sunny and the entire pack. Would he even care in the morning? Should I even care?

I shake my head, pulling my shirt over my nose. He's my mate, my mate. I have to care now, no matter how stupid I think he is. I give myself one more minute to be disgusted before I grab him by the shoulders and haul him up into a sitting position. He seems to weigh a ton now that Sunny isn't around to carry most of him. He starts heaving and before I can back away, he vomits down the front of me and himself.

I gag, wanting to be anywhere but here. The stench of alcohol and stomach acid burns my nose. Mathias grunts and I try not to cry. His eyes flutter open, only for a second. I slap him firmly, trying to wake him up without hurting him. He bats my hand away, tipping from side to side. At least he's aware enough to keep himself from falling over. I swallow my disgust and drag him to his feet. The closest bathroom is only down the hall, but with each step we take feels like a mile.

Once we get into the bathroom, I drop Mathias in the shower, sitting him up against the cold tile wall. I kick off my shoes and throw them out before I turn the cold water on. He jolts awake after a few seconds of the icy water hitting him. His eyes are wild and bloodshot, he struggles to stand up and I place my hands on his shoulders to keep him there.