Chapter Three: Becoming the Luna

By the time we exit the house, the whole tribe has gathered at the porch. I can see their confusion and I search the sea of heads for familiarity. I barely had time to warn my family before they arrived. They know now that I wasn't joking as I stand next to Mathias. He looks like a statue and I can't keep the image of him crumbling just moments ago out of my head. The strength must take to flip a switch like that.

Mathias's best friend and Beta is standing beside us. He's tall and lean, with rich chocolate skin and ringlets curls. He's dressed similar to Mathias, with war paint swirled over his torso. Sunny cut his hair too and showed up right before we were presented to the crowd. Unlike Mathias, he didn't go away to a private school to train to be a Beta. He stayed and trained under his father directly.

I'd say we're close, I see him around the house often. I also know him as my best friend's mate. He and Seth were mated when we turned sixteen. They've had a picture-perfect relationship that's made me jealous too many times to count. I'm not bitter about it, I love Sunny for how deeply he loves Seth.

Serena speaks to the crowd, "I would first like to apologize to my elders for speaking before them." Her voice is clear and steady. "And for the short notice. As some of you may have figured out by now, the Alpha has passed. He has been sick for a long time now and no prayers could save him. He wanted you all to know that he loved you and he died peacefully, knowing you all would be in great hands after his passing."

Behind me, I hear a muffled cry and turn to see that Reid has collapsed into David's shoulder. His shoulders shake with sobs and David tries to soothe him. I turn back around, my throat closing slightly as all I want to do is comfort him. Serena is just getting to introducing us when I tune back in, "Despite our loss, we gain a fresh trio of leaders. My eldest son Mathias has returned from the city to lead our people with the help of his mate, Ridley, and his best friend, Sunny."

She begins speaking in our native language, announcing the shift in power. "Mathias Gill, the eldest son of the late Augustus Gill, will now assume the role of Alpha of the Sapphire Moon pack, sixteenth in the alliance of tribal wolves. Anyone who wishes to challenge his strength and leadership, please step forward and announce yourself."

The air is tense when she says this, though there has never been a challenge, there's still a possibility. When no one steps forward, Serena releases the breathe she was holding and continues. "Ridley Long, the youngest daughter of the late Victor Long, will now assume the role of Luna of the Sapphire Moon pack, sixteenth in the alliance of tribal wolves. Anyone who doubts her judgment may step forward now."

I hide my shock, I had completely forgotten about that part. There's no fighting for the Luna position, but anyone who doubts my judgment may express their concerns. I scan the crowd for anyone who might step forward. I see my teachers, my elders, and all the aunties that helped raise me growing up. Raising children is a communal thing, especially living so close to the market. I find my family in the crowd now, they stare at me with awe in their eyes. My mother glows with pride, beaming brightly from her spot next to my oldest brother. She mouths something, I almost don't catch it and when it does register what she says, I have to do everything in my power not to cry.

'Your father would be proud'.

"And we saved the best for last," Serena jokes, smiling for the first time today. Sunny beams, acting embarrassed by waving his hand at her, "Sunny Quell, the eldest son of Calvin Quell, will now assume the role of Beta of the Sapphire Moon pack, sixteenth in the tribal wolves alliance. Anyone who wishes to challenge his position may step forward."

When no one does, Serena finishes with a prayer. We bow our head respectfully, listening as her words flow over us. Someone in the crowd lights sage and passes it around in a small wooden bowl. Smudging is part of the prayer, meant to cleanse your mind and spirit. We believe that smudging can purify our aura. We bathe ourselves in it as it is passed onto the stage, waving the smoke over us.