1,000 Star Special!

---Lumi---

---Lumi---

It all started in Mrs. Taylor's second-grade class.

There was only one purple marker in the classroom, and Lumi was desperate to finish his rainbow. He searched and searched, only to realize it was in your hands; a purple dog was what you were drawing.

"When you're done, can I have the marker?" Lumi asked shyly. He couldn't help but notice the boy beside you adamantly staring at the marker as well.

A toothy grin stretched across your face as you slapped the marker into his waiting hands. "Lucky for you, I just finished my dog! You can take it home too! It'll be our friendship marker!" you said with your chubby face and messy overalls. Your eyes shone with the recklessness of childhood innocence.

"Ummm... isn't that stealing?" Lumi replied, contemplating the morality of rule-breaking.

"It is?" you, ready to take down the institutions that ruled this elementary school, doubted. With the energy gained from the cookie your parents packed you, you scampered to the teacher with your stubby legs. "Mrs. Taylor! I have a question!"

Turned out, taking the purple marker was considered stealing.

As a petty child, you were visibly upset, but you didn't let it get to you! "Lumi! I'll give you a purple marker tomorrow!" Ever since then, you two gifted each other a purple marker on that exact day.

It was your 'purple-versary,' to be precise.

The monstrosity that was middle school came and went, and you and Lumi stuck through it all. In sixth grade, you two were hooked on Studio Ghibli films and vowed to live inside the Spirited Away Bathhouse. "It's just so aesthetic!" you claimed. Lumi particularly remembered how your eyes still shone with the recklessness of childhood innocence. He would sacrifice anything to protect it.

In seventh grade, you cut your own bangs. It was jagged and too short, but Lumi thought you were the cutest darn person in the school.

In eighth grade and a little threatened by Disney's portrayal of high school, you and Lumi were at his house watching Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper. During the movie, you faced Lumi and declared, "if we can't find a prom date, then we have to go as each other's date, okay?"

"Is that a pinky promise?" he teased with a charming grin.

"Definitely!"

If Lumi had to pinpoint what he liked about you, it was definitely your smile.

He knew you better than you knew yourself because of that smile. You gave a tight-lipped smile when you were secretly annoyed but had to be polite. If your mouth quivered when you smiled, it meant you were on the verge of crying. When you were overjoyed, your smile looked like Catbus' from My Neighbor Totoro— bright, wide, and a little mischievous. That was by no means an insult. He absolutely adored Catbus.