Somewhere

SOMEWHERE

       Somewhere in a winter frost, a boy sits behind the window and watches as the world dies around him. Something is growing in him deep and painful – a dark flower that wants to swallow him whole. He can’t eat, he can’t sleep, and the doctors call it depression. All he knows is that he’s drowning and there’s nobody there to save him. 

       Somewhere on a late summer day, a boy with a shaved head packs up his belongings and returns home for the first time in years. There’s no one there to welcome him back, no one there to say I’ve missed you so much, please never leave me again. He takes a few slow looks at the house surrounding him, the place he used to call home but now is just an overtaking shadow in his life. He wonders if this is all he fought for – an empty home in an empty town. He isn’t sure, but he knows he wants more than this, wants something to fight for.

       Somewhere in a field of wildflowers, a sad boy and a lonely boy have finally found one another. They pull the petals from the flowers and blow pieces of spring off their fingertips. Hope grows in their bones and jumps from their pores. They are happy, they are content, they are together. Their story never ends. 

       Somewhere on a dark and dreary night, a writer puts down the pen and goes to sleep. The story ends, just like that.