Changes

Mina wasn't annoyed about going to class, far from it. Of course she liked the attention he gave her, especially now and being back with him was undeniably exciting, but she also loved looking after "her" Gryffindors. She loved teaching. It was her passion.
At dinner she saw Albus and he smiled at her which made her heart race. After dinner she still couldn't see him immediately because it was her office hour, a time she used to help solve her students' big and small issues. She hoped Cecily would come by and finally confide in her before noticing how ridiculous she was being. Cecily was just another student, no matter how much she worried about her. And still thoughts were spiralling through her mind, Cecily was muggleborn, she had no friends and nobody else. She needed some protection in this strange new world.
On the way to her office, the Gryffindors flocked around her. They all wanted to talk to her and she even managed to solve some minor issues before even reaching her office. It turned out to be a busy evening. There were many questions about the OWLs and some private problems, in addition to that, the Quidditch season was in full swing. When she was about to finish up, there was a quiet knock on the door and Cecily Sunderland came in.
"Miss Sunderland, how good to see you. What can I do for you?" She smiled warmly. What a wonderful surprise. Cecily just shrugged. She looked even more tired and unhappy than usual.
"I don't really know. I know my lesson isn't today, I s'ppose I just wanted to go somewhere other than the library for a change." She gave Minerva a crooked smile, Cecily didn't even know what had made her seek out her teacher, it was almost curfew anyway, but she knew that the only thing awaiting her in her dorm was yet another sleepless night.
"I see. As you said, it's not our usual lesson, but how about I make a cup of tea and you tell me about how you're doing, you seem to be a little more confident in class."
"I think some tea would be nice." Cecily said quietly. She was once again fascinated by her elegant and smart teacher. She baffled that she'd actually been invited for tea instead of being sent away because of the fast approaching curfew. And that her teacher was always so kind and patient with her. Actually, Professor McGonagall was the first grown up who didn't seem to be nice to her for the wrong reasons. She felt oddly safe with her, even though she couldn't explain why. Mina didn't notice her student's musings but went to make tea and then sat down with her.
"So, how do you like Hogwarts? Are things getting a little better now?" she asked gently. Minerva didn't want to intimidate Cecily, just find out if she could support her.
"I guess it's alright. I like transfiguration, I really do. I am just not sure I fit in, I am still very slow, everything is new and odd to me and the others don't like me because I'm a little weird." Mina patted her shoulder.
"Well, Cecily... It's okay if I call you Cecily, right?" Cecily nodded enthusiastically. That wasn't just alright, it was wonderful. "Look, it will take some time to get used to all of this and make friends. The wizarding world is very different to the muggle world, I know that, my father is a muggle too. I promise that things will get easier eventually. And please don't worry about transfiguration, we're working on it and as soon as you find your strengths, everything will fall into place."
Cecily tilted her head. She wasn't sure if she believed what Professor McGonagall was telling her. It wasn't that easy. But still, she was grateful for her words. "You're very kind to me, Professor, I appreciate it, really."
"Cecily, dear, nothing is as bad as it seems. You can trust me on that. As your head of house it's my job to make sure that you are happy here and I take that very seriously." Minerva smiled at her and Cecily looked away. Being called "dear" was uncharted territory for her.
"Then I'll try to make your job easy." She finished her tea and got up. Don't get attached, Cecily. People will always disappoint you. This was her motto in life. "Thank you, professor, it's getting late. I...I should go. Good night."
"Good night, miss Sunderland." Minerva saw her off at the door, a little perplexed by her sudden departure. For a moment she had thought Cecily might finally open up to her but she was still only scratching the surface. It was frustrating. Maybe she'd have to give up... no. Giving up was not her style at all.
She started looking out for Albus, he had promised to stop by after her office hour. She really hoped that his bad habit of being late wasn't cropping up again.
"Hello darling." He suddenly whispered from behind her, which made her jump and she turned around.
"Albus! For Merlin's sake, you can't just ambush me from behind. Where did you come from?" But she wasn't really angry, especially as he was actually on time.
"Fireplace." He grinned and closed the door. "I'm sorry I scared you." He hugged her and she leaned against him.
"I'm still mad at you though." she grumbled.
Albus smiled indulgently. "Let me change your mind, dearest, I have a surprise for you. You and the baby."
"Well that's exciting, where is it?" Mina peeked and expected him to hide something behind his back but there was nothing to be seen. Albus grinned. She had no idea.
"Well, you won't find it anywhere in here, it wouldn't fit. I bought a house. For you and the baby. It's on the school grounds so you are still close but you two have space. We can still keep living seperately for now, just as we discussed earlier, but you will have all the space you could possibly need." She looked at him. Her face went through a bunch of emotions in the blink of an eye. Her mouth was dry, she didn't know what to say. Was he serious? He couldn't just go and buy... but then again it definitely fit the pattern of impulsive actions that seemed to be his trademark. Oh Merlin. Now, she knew what to say.
"Albus. I mean this the most loving way possible but are you crazy?" Albus chuckled, he had expected a reaction along those lines, Mina often felt awkward accepting extravagant gifts.
"Crazy about you? Definitely. Just try to look at it as me providing for my family. It's the least I can do." He was serious now, and he wanted to prove to her that he could step up.
"But it's a lot... I don't know..." Mina felt terribly insecure. On the one hand, a little cottage would be a dream come true, but would it really come with no strings attached?
"Don't know what?" he enquired, taking her hand.
"Albus, I don't know what you are hoping for, but what if I'm having a little girl, not a son to carry on the Dumbledore line? There are so many unknown factors, I just don't know." She sighed. Minerva hated showing vulnerability, but she had to be truthful now to avoid more pain in the long run.
"Mina, a little girl would be absolutely wonderful." He whispered. "What difference would a girl make?" he looked her straight in the eye.
"None to me, but I wasn't sure how you'd feel..." It had been another worry of hers, that maybe, if the baby was a girl, he would push her away again. She was far from fully trusting him again.
Albus was a little hurt but he could see where she was coming from. He had to win back her trust. "Mina, I know I haven't been the best partner and person in the past, I know. But I'd be a really bad father if having a boy or girl would make any difference to me. The house is for you and the little one, absolutely no strings attached. If you want me to, I'll join you there, either for a day or maybe one day forever but one thing at a time." He smiled shyly. This wasn't how he usually was, but when it came to her, he was insecure and awkward. "Mina, all I'm trying to say with this is that I want you and baby to be taken care of. Because I love you, so please don't feel bad about accepting this."
Mina was impressed, there was a glimpse of the man she'd fallen in love with. He looked so lost waiting for her answer.
"I love you too." She finally whispered after what felt like an eternity and hugged him tightly. Albus breathed a sigh of relief.