1

It was a dark and stormy night. An unnatural haze lingered over team magma's base. In his bed, Maxie shivered. For a summer night, the air was cold and the sky was black. It was almost as if something evil lurked out there in the shadows.

Maxie rolled over, clutching his pillow, and tried to fall back asleep. But a worry nagged in the back of his mind. Something was not right. No matter how he tried, some ghostly force prevented him from sleeping. It made him uneasy. With a sigh, he rolled out of bed, pulled on his coat, and poured himself a cup of water from the pitcher on his desk . Quietly, he left his room.

The halls were silent as he walked in the dark. He did not know where he was going, or why, but his body seemed to move on its own accord. He was being drawn by an unseen power. Past tabithas room, past the research lab , past the kitchen and out to the entrance.With the moon hidden behind thick clouds, it was nearly impossible to see in the inky black night. But something floating on the water to Maxie's front made him gasp in shock. A body!

'WHAT!!' Maxie shouted. He leapt over the ledge and into the water below , swimming towards the fallen form as fast as he could. Coral and jagged rocks scratched at his exposed feet but he paid them no mind. Heart pounding, he pinched his ski slope nose and dove underneath the body. He nudged it up with his back and held it in his arms .

Now that he was closer, he could see that this was ... ARCHIE ! He hated the man with sll of hjs heart .. most of his heart. But he was in dire need of help. His clothes were torn and bloody, and his hair was matted with dirth. He needed the attention of a doctor , immediately. Without a second thought, Maxie swam forward , pulling him along back to the ledge . He forcefully hauled him up and ran back inside to call out the medics.