Chapter 5

Waking up to the sound of my alarm, i sat up rubbing the sleep from my eyes. Memories of the night before came flooding back and I couldnt help but smile, all the kids had a blast at the zoo and that was clear by the smiles on their faes and excitement in their eyes. By the time we got back to the school they were all worn out and half of them were asleep in the cars.

Finaly getting out of my bed I headed to take a shower before blow drying it and applying my makeup. Nathan was a great help the whole time, he helped with the kids at the zoo and watched the kids after until their parents came and got them but most of all he was great company. We talked quite abit, we laughed a lot but we also had a few serious moments like when he was telling me about all the hard work he had to put in in order to give Sophia a better life. He didnt specifically tell me why he had to move but it was clearly for the better, or so he thought.

Honestly, I didnt know how being away from family would be better, at the end of the day family is the only thing you have. Having my grandparents taken away and then my mother only to have both my brothers leave as well made me realize how important family is. I would give just about anything to have my grandparents here with my mom and brothers. Though this was what i thought about family, I couldnt judge Nathan by his choices, I have no idea why he took Sophia away from her family but from what i know and have heard from Linda and even Cony, who mentioned him when i came to the store a few days after he game me my drivers license.

Was this why Sophia had no mother? Did Nathan take Sophia and leave everyone who loved her? Did she have siblings and now all she has is Nathan and Linda?

All these thoughts ran through my head as I changed into a floral skirt and a white blouse. Slipping on some sandles i went down stairs and grabbed some breakfast before heading out side to my truck. Getting to school, we were starting on the next set of alphabets. I go over the sound they make, how to write them, how to say them in a word and so on. We learn 4 new letters a week, while doing fun projects to help them remember and so it wasnt so boring for them.

"Alright lets go out side for recess." I told the kids. They all jumped up out of their seats and went to their cubbies to get their jackets on before heading outside to the play ground. I slipped on my sweater before going out side with the kids to watch them. The play ground was updated sense i last played on it, obviously. That was over ten years ago, they updated just about everything and added new equipment to play on. They still had the same swings, slide and both sets of moneybars that i had when i was going to school here. There was three red benches out here and a basketball court along with a 'football/soccer field' these were just a big area of dirt at the end of the schools play ground with a soccer goal at each end. We had baskeballs, soccers, footballs along with jumping ropes, hula hoops ect.

Keeping an eye on all the kids, i saw Sophia running towards me with tears running down her face. Jumping up off the bench i met her half way and picked her up.

"Hey honey, whats wrong?" i asked her looking over her not seeing any visible signs of an injury.

"M-Mark was m-making fun of me-me for no-not having a mo-mommy." she said sobbing into my chest. It broke my heart hearing her say this, no one should make fun of her for anyhing but expecially not for this reason.

Running my hand over her back while i carried her over to the bench i was sitting on. "Its okay Sophia. Do you remember when i first started teaching you? I told you i didnt have a daddy?" I asked her. I didnt know if this was going to help but i was going to try and let her know she wasnt the only one with out a parent.

"Yeah..." she said whith her head still barried in my chest.

"I never had a daddy, just like you dont have a mommy. I have two brothers and my mom took care of us all my her self, just like your daddy takes care of you. What did Mark say about you?"