names

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The name is always such a hard choice to pick. You want it to be unique and memorable for the reader

what to do tips

▬ look at names that were popular during the time your story takes place. If you want to be historically accurate do a lot of research about the name and it's meaning. If you pick a time period place a good idea is to look into the popular names at the time.

▬ Almost every name has a meaning behind it. look at the meaning of the name. It could be so that the meaning of the name can fit the character or their personality. The meaning doesn't have to be revealed during the story it could just be a fun way to connect the character to their name.

▬ Make sure the first and last name flows together. Most parents when naming their child will think about how the name sounds as a whole. Think of how it flows off the tongue. While picking a name for your character a good thing to do is to say it out loud or ask a friend what they think about it.

▬ Think about what the character nickname would be. Does your character even go by a nickname and if they do why do they go by it. Is it because they hate the name their parents named them or is it because they just moved to a new town and they want to be a new person.

▬ Think of the ethnic and culutral background of the person. If their family immigrated from a country do they still have the same last name as they did back then? It was common on Elis Island in New York for names to be changed to be more amercian.

what not to do tips

▬ Don't name several characters similaring. The reader might get confused on which character is which and it might be hard to tell each character apart from the other. Try and avoid names that have the same letter. Especially if they are the main character then it will be even harder to tell them apart.

▬ Don't pick a quirky name just for the sake of it being quirky. If you give your character an unsual name make sure there is reasoning behind why you gave them that name, it could be a family name.

▬ Try to avoid famous peoples name, sure you can have a famous person first name but don't name them their whole name. For example: You can name your character after Sadie Sink, and have her name be Sadie but change up their last name.

▬ You do not have to name every single character in your book. If the charcter only shows up in one scene then they are not important to be named. IF they are barely going to interact with teh main characters in the book.When you introduce a chracter and give them a name it lets the readers know that character is important. Unless you have a good reason to, for example the character will be mentioned in a later scene or it shows the main character personality.