Fire

It had been a year since Rachel had died. Christina was turning sixteen and would shift for the first time, as a mythic shifter she would be able to choose what fire creature she would be. Unlike the natural shifters whose inner animal was set from the beginning mythics could choose. Christina had prepared for a week for the choosing, getting the appropriate candles and offerings. It was nearly impossible to do so as she had dropped off the grid with no more than a high school education and the clothes off her back. She had to steal what she couldn't catch or find in the wild including clothes. Christina sat cross legged in a circle of candles and waited.

"Hello little one." Christina heard a lovely voice say.

"Who are you?" Christina asked aloud
"I will be you guide through the trials" the voice said.

"Trials?" Christina asked "I was never aware that there were trials. I thought I just chose." She complained.

"The trials will leave you with the animal most suited for you, you can choose another if you wish." the voice explained.

Christina nodded and closed her eyes once again. "Tell me what to do." she whispered. She heard whooshing and opened her eyes to see herself in a peaceful field.
"Hello?" She called. Nobody answered so she wandered around admiring the flowers.

"Help me." she heard a little voice cry.

Christina spun in a circle looking for the person who called out and saw a little girl standing in the field.

"Will you help me?" The little girl asked Christina.

"Of course!" Christina exclaimed grabbing her hand.

As soon as the words left Christina's mouth the clearing turned dark and shadowed forms started slinking from the woods. Christina brought the little girl closer as she identified the shapes, Reapers. Dangerous creatures with no powers who's only purpose was to kill Powers. The Reapers started slinking forwards speaking in their strange language.

"When I say drop, drop to the ground so I can kill the Reapers." Christina whispered to the girl. She waited until she could see the whites of their eyes and shouted "drop!"

The girl obeyed and Christina started flinging her signature blue fire at the Reapers. After a year alone she had perfected her only weapon against the Reapers. The first row went up in flames but there were still more to burn. Unknown to her a Reaper was sneaking up behind her, she didn't realize until the girl started screaming. The Reaper quickly snapped her neck causing Christina to see red.
Christina lost her control and wave after wave poured across the clearing killing all the Reapers. Once the fire stopped the field dissolved changing to a solid white room.

"Find your way out." the voice said.

Christina looked around see only four white walls. She summoned a small blue flame on her fingertip and pressed it into the wall looking for a weak point. Not feeling one she slowly let the fire spread in a thin layer on the wall. She felt a cold spot under her fire. Christina focused her flame there and felt the cold start to heat.
Slowly but surely it melted and when all the cold was gone the walls fell away. Now inside a room full of treasure Christina looked around in awe.
"I see a thief in my midst,
I see a rat in my trap,
I smell you on the air,
I see a girl who must beware." A voice echoed through the room.

"Show yourself!" Christina yelled.

"I'm the man of ice,
Don't worry I'll play nice
I'm the man of fire,
And your in my tower." The voice cackled.

"I don't even know who you are! Show yourself to be a worthy opponent." Christina called.

A small hunched figure toddled from behind a pile of gold and looked at Christina warily.

"Your here for your task young fire,
Choose an object based in desire
But be warned I want it back.
Defeat me to be free!" He giggled.

Christina looked around seeing many things she liked but none that just called to her. She saw a small silver ring with a pretty gem in it that she liked. She picked up the ring and slid it perfectly onto her middle finger.

"Ah, an energy ring! Wise choice young fire. Now, there is a single exit to my room you will find it before I find you and treat you like a common thief." He said.

Christina turned and started running before he finished talking. She ran to the closest wall she could see and decided to follow it until she find the door. The old man could run surprisingly fast, fast enough to stay on Christina's heels. Every now and then she shot a fireball behind her to throw him off but he ran straight through them.
She finally saw the door and dived through right as he grabbed her ankle.

"You did well young fire, keep the ring. Your trials are done go choose your animal." The old man said.

"Well Christina based on your choices only one animal fits you. Unfortunately you don't choose this one it chose you." the voice said.

"Wait what?" Christina asked.

She opened her eyes to see that she was laid on her back in the warehouse. She looked around confused trying to figure out what happened. 'What animal am I?' She wondered to herself.

HEY GUYS SECOND UPDATE!!!! LOVE ALL YOU READERS DONT BE AFRAID TO VOTE AND COMMENT IT HELPS ME UPDATE FASTER!:)