Chapter 15

Thinking about today sent waves of inextricable excitement coursing through me. I honestly wanted to go straight to my bed, squeal into my pillow, and kick my feet into the air like I was a little kid again. We'd only spent a small portion of the last few days together, but I really felt like we'd grown closer. He was opening up to me without a doubt. I couldn't tell if he might be gay or just had a strong sense of bromance, but we definitely shared something there.

His recently developed trust in me was all I needed to be sure of it.

As I reached the front door, I saw Mum was sitting at the table with the phone glued to her ear. Wiping the sand down from my legs, I watched her frantic hand gestures and moderately raised voice. Judging by her frown and constant fretting, I could only assume she was talking with my sister.

"Oh, no, dear," she cooed. "Oh, honey. I know. I know, honey. Yes, I know."

What did she know? What was she so sure she knew?

Dad made noise going through the door in front of me, turning Mum's attention to us. Ignoring the fact that I was literally already removing the sand, she panicked and angrily signaling for me to pat myself down. In that threatening sort of way Mum's do when they can't get a word in at that moment.

But who cared this time? I was feeling good. Aubrey had been in my arms today and yesterday. He trusted me enough to help him learn to surf. To care for his hearing aid while he went out and swam. To smile at me in ways I didn't even know he was capable of. My heart was so full at the thought of him, I thought it'd burst. Couldn't I have held him for a little while longer?

Why did it have to get cold and why did I have to insist we get him warmed up? After finishing my sand cleansing ritual by wiping my feet on the doormat, I stepped inside.

"Jake's coming home for a visit tonight," Mum cooed, "so you come around as well, okay? We'll have a very decent chat about it all over dinner."

Jake and Mel were both coming home tonight? The day was just getting better and better! I'd be able to sit at the table and socialize with them. Chat with them. Hear about their families and work lives since I didn't get to hear much of anything when it came to them both.

Dinner was usually at around six-thirty, so they'd probably be here in the next hour or so. I was bursting with energy. First a successful day with Aubrey that blew me up like helium and left me floating toward cloud nine, and now I'd see both of my siblings in one sitting. Some kids had the luxury of growing up with their brothers and sisters, but mine were already adults when I was born.

Moments like these were rare, so it was hard not to get excited. I hurried to the shower so I could get ready in time.

-

After finishing up with something presentable to wear, six o'clock rolled around in no time. I spent the remainder of time in front of the computer, researching the other two deaf poets Mr. Hardy assigned for me, ready to sprint for the door as soon as they came in.

For now, I focused on my research. Laura Bridgman was a deaf-blind poet who came two generations before Helen Keller, making me wonder why Helen Keller became famous while Laura didn't. She was the first person to learn to fingerspell and gained some publicity after meeting author Charles Dickins when he was just twelve years old.

The article explained that her popularity was short-lived since she spent her years keeping to herself, mostly reading, which explained her lack of exposure. She had notable traits, like being irritable and unsociable towards others, something I always figured Aubrey could relate with.

In her adult years, Anne Sullivan was even her companion! I didn't know why, but I found the idea of that so exciting. Not only a trusted figure to Helen Keller but Laura Bridgman, too! Could I be somebody like that? I didn't know. All I wanted was to stay by Aubrey's side at this point. Today was such a breakthrough, I'd be satisfied if things stayed this way for the rest of my life.