Chapter 3

Stupid Aubrey was nice enough to keep me steady while I sorted the dangling thread. After that, I raced over to Ben and assumed the seat in front of him, grabbing my bag back that he'd been looking after for me. He looked at me with bewilderment, arms crossed on the table while he leaned forward.

Judging by his expression, it seemed like there were so many things he wanted to say to me right then. And I couldn't blame him; this was a train wreck. Nothing at all like how it played out in my head. I could hear the familiar voices of Ikeisha and her friends sitting a couple of tables behind him. Tilting over sideways, I subtly looked past him to see them eating, immersed in fun conversation and laughter.

Ben spoke, pulling my attention back to him. "That was horrific," he said, enunciating each word with unspeakable despair.

"Why're you saying that like it happened to you and not me?" I asked, drumming my fingers against the table.

He faced me head-on, like a bull to a matador, puffs of smoke blowing out of his nose and ears. "Why did you come over here anyway?" he asked, lowering his voice into an aggressive whisper. "You said the focus wouldn't be on me and yet I can literally feel Trey's eyes boring into the back of my head."

It was such an obnoxious statement that I smirked, closing my eyes and shaking my head. "He's not looking at you," I said with utmost confidence.

"He is!" Ben protested; thick brows furrowing to look like a vulnerable puppy.

I couldn't say too much about him because he was my best friend, but to be honest, he was pretty easy on the eye. His lashes were weirdly lighter than his hair, but they were long and thick, making his eye color appear brighter than I think it was. He had a strong, masculine jawline that tensed a lot. It happened mostly during conversations like this; usually directed at me.

"He isn't," I insisted, folding my arms and challenging him. "Why would he be?"

Ben looked beyond peeved. "I can literally feel my head about to blow up."

"That's because it's too fat," I said. That was a lie. He's built like a hog, but in that really muscular, thick, sports fiend sort of way. Strictly speaking, the likes of me or Jude could thumb wrestle him and be lifted off the ground. The likes of Liam might be forced to tippy-toe a little. As for Goose... well, to be honest, I was a little curious to see who'd come out on top with that one.

"He's not looking at you." To further my point, I leaned over sideways again, catching another glimpse of the group behind him. Both Ikeisha and Aubrey were looking this way, while Trey's eyes were producing laser beams at the back of Ben's head. Pulling his sleeves up his arms and cracking his knuckles; he looked ready to beat Ben to a bloody pulp again. I conceded. "Okay, maybe he is looking at you."

"See?" he hissed, leaning forward. "Let's end this here. It's over and you hadn't even started yet."

"No, no!" I said, grabbing his arm. It couldn't end like this. This wasn't how it was supposed to go. "I'll fix this. I'll just fix the string and resume the original plan. It'll be-"

He plucked my hand off him, dropping it back in front of me. Standing up, he grabbed his bag and swung it over his shoulder, turning to leave. I closed my eyes, feeling an ache forming behind them. I hated it when things were out of my control. This was never how it should be. "Forget it, Charlie. We can try again another time in a way that won't blow up in my face. I'm really trying this time, okay? I'm going home."

While I hated to admit it, he was right. I'd lost this round. I couldn't handle seeing his look of hurt and embarrassment. His defenselessness. Someone as strong and all-rounded as Ben shouldn't make a face like that. My gut twisted as I watched him leave. I could see Trey's eyes following him to the exit, glaring like he was looking at a sworn enemy. By the look of things, this guy really knew how to hold a grudge. This might be tougher than I thought.