Family Ties

For a few minutes it was quiet, Kai was still unconscious and David and I were in the van waiting for Shane and the others.

“Sorted sis.” Shane got in the front of the van and the other boys came piling in. “We’ve called the cops and left all the information they need to bring ‘em down.”

I nodded with a smile.

“Sleeping Beauty still out?” Shane asked, starting the engine.

“Yep, he’s been out like a light for ages.” I sighed. “Kadee won’t be happy.”

David cocked an eyebrow. “She still dreaming of being a teacher?” He asked as we drove back home, passing some police cars.

“Qualified, it looks like she’s really moved on, eh Nad?” Shane asked from the front, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel.

“Looks like it.” I agreed.

“So? What’re you doing here then Davey boy?” He asked.

“Just visiting, hey, can I stay with you guys for a while?” David asked.

I slumped into my seat. “Jesus.” I muttered, emphasizing it deeply.

“Course you can, David, you’re like a brother to us. Anytime.” Shane answered.

“We have got enough room.” I agreed. “And maybe you being there will put our sister in a good mood.”

David chuckled but we had a silent ride the rest of the way home.  

“Nadia Sicarius!” Kadee cried as soon as we walked through the door. “I have been worried sick, Shane, how dare you let her do that! She could’ve gotten killed!”

“David’s here.” I stated before anything could get out of hand, Kadee was hugging me so tightly I could barely breathe and Shane looked pissed off.

“Hello David, welcome back, how long are you staying?” Kadee asked, the polite hostess in her kicking in.

“Only a few weeks, I’m just visiting really-” David rambled.

“Who the fuck is that?” Kadee asked, pointing to Kai who was now only slightly conscious.

“Kai.” I answered.

“Why is Kai here, Nad, we’ve got enough bloody strays staying here as it is.” She asked crossly. But she was right, quite a few members of the gang stayed over after a ‘takedown’. “And we’ve got David over for a while.”

“Aww, I’m not a stray.” David put his hand to his heart and pretended to look touched.

I laughed quietly. “Nad!” She said sharply.

“Come on Kadee, he had nowhere else to go, and I couldn’t just leave him, it’s against whatever good nature I have left.” I replied.

When Kadee groaned I knew I’d gotten her. “Alright, Nadia, as long as they don’t get in the way of your schoolwork. But we’re not running a bloody bed and breakfast.”

“I get it, Kadee.” I answered. “So, how did the interview go?” I asked once she released me. 

“Good, good, they said they’d think about hiring me.” She answered. It may have been good for her but not so much for me. I’d never spent a day in public school, I’d never wanted to so I’d always been homeschooled. Luckily when my parents died Kadee had already finished her teaching course so she could take over teaching me. That was three years ago, and if she suddenly got a job it would mean no more homeschooling and no more homeschooling meant public school. And I wasn’t going to that hellhole, seeing the look on my face she sighed. “Don’t worry, Nad, the job doesn’t start for another few months yet, if I get it you’ll be in your last year.”