[10]

The loud bangs and shouts sounded anything but like music. The so-called 'band' strung their guitars at the wrong cords, aimlessly playing and the 'lead singer' just shouted words. Nick was the only one who put in the effort, and while he was also no good, he was trying. Layla grimaced, twisting her fingers and wanting out.

Kim was yelling with enthusiasm. She loved this. It was like her own personal band playing for her. She didn't care that they were bad, she was just having some fun.

Lindsay had the same expression as Layla. Nick stood up, stopping his friends from continuing. "Hey, uh, listen, guys..." he breathed heavily. "Listen, uh... that wasn't very good. Let's try it again."

Ken stared at Nick like he was crazy. "What?" They weren't playing to sound good, they were playing to have some fun other than just smoking or drinking. Nick obviously didn't feel the same. Layla could see it on his face. He wanted to sound good.

"Let's try Sunshine of Your Love again." He smiled softly, his voice wobbly as he tried convincing his friends. Layla bites the inside of her cheek as she watched them interact. Ken looked annoyed as he messed around with the mic, Nick was twiddling with his drumsticks nervously.

"Well, we just played it, man," Daniel replied apathetically. "Why would we do it again?"

The boys argued back and forth, even bringing Lindsay into it, who tried shrinking away into the couch. They were obviously hurting Nick's feelings, and when Layla noticed that Lindsay nor Kim, no surprise, were going to defend him, Layla cut into their argument.

"Guys, cmon." She sat upright as they continued arguing over her. "Guys!" She tried once again, but they ignored her. "You fuckers! Daniel! Hey!" She shouted, catching his attention. Nick stopped, letting his shoulders drop and sitting back down. "Stop being assholes and listen to your fucking friend who just wants to get one song right and just play the stupid song!" Layla exaggerated with her hands. 

Daniel's nostrils flared as he stared right back at her, not breaking the eye contact. "Let's play this stupid song." He mumbled.

"Thank you."

Daniel strung his electric guitar with no effort, causing Nick to stand back up. "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey! Did you hear any sticks, man? Wait for my sticks, all right?" The guys all sighed heavily with annoyance.

"Gee," Ken spoke into the microphone. "This is really fun guys. I'm glad we have a band." He threw up a thumbs up.

"Fucking petty ass boys," Layla whispered loudly with a roll from her green eyes, leaning back into the couch, crossing her hands.

"Fucking annoying girl," Ken spoke into the microphone.

Layla stared at him with a raised brow. "At least I stand up for my friend." She stared right into his eyes, glaring into them actually. Eyes narrowed, ready to fight.

He shifted his weight on his feet, standing with his back straight. He leaned into the mic. "I can spill your secret right now, right here." His eyes saying, try me.

Everyone turned to her. Her heart picked up speed, but she didn't show anything. Her face was hard, eyes flared. Her eyes seemed more green than usual, Daniel noticed.

"And I can spill yours." She didn't know anything, but she wasn't taking chances. If he did know, Layla would rather it not being spilled with Kim and Daniel in the room.

"Guys-" Nick stood back up, but Ken interrupted.

"Layla has a crush on her friends' boyfriend." The room paused and Laylas' words got caught in her throat.

"What?!" Everyone but the two shouted. Kim and Daniel's head whipped to Layla. They were the only two in the friend group dating. The group was Layla's only friends. Layla didn't dare to look at anyone else besides Ken.

Ken smirked. "Cat caught your tongue?" Layla hasn't breathed since Ken opened his big mouth. "I wonder how Nicole would feel knowing you like Jacob?"

And that's when Layla breathed, her tense shoulders relaxing. "Wait what?" Layla started laughing. Daniel whacked Kens' head, his own heart dropping back into a steady beat.

"What?" Ken rubbed the back of his head.

"You dumbass!" Kim shouted, crossing her arms and looking off to the side. She was thankful.

"God." Layla stood up, grabbing her things. "By the way, Ken has a fucking STD." She made up, walking up the stairs to leave the basements. She was over this band.

"What happened?" She heard Ken say as she walked up.

"Let's just play." Nick ignored him. Layla closed the basement door, leaning against it and taking a deep breath. That was close. Too close.

=

Layla flicked a lighter on and off, sitting in some stands on the patio with her two best friends who joked around and fought. Nicole leaned over, pulling on Jacob's curls as he slapped her hand away. I guess she could see why Ken would think these two were dating. They were like an old couple who have been married for 20 years, regretting 10 of those years.

Through the orange and red flames of the lit lighter, Layla could make out Daniel and his friends sitting at a table at the patio, clapping when Nick and Lindsay walked up to them. She put down the lighter, her nails tracing over the indent on her thumb that was leftover after playing with the lighter for too long. "I heard Lindsay jumped Nick." Jacob laughed as he stared at their table. "I knew she had it in her."

"Jumped as in?"

"Either they made out or–" Jacob paused, looking over at Nicole. "They had s e x." he spelled out, nodding his head and leaning back against the bench.

"You can say the word 'sex', you moron. We're not ten." Nicole rolled her eyes. "And why the fuck did you look at me?"

"Don't wanna turn on the slut with the word sex." he joked, shrugging, making both Nicole and Layla smack him.

After a silent while, Layla turned towards the two with a smirk. "Did you know Ken thought you two were dating this whole time?" Nicole's eyes turned wide while Jacob made kissing noises towards her, puckering up his lips.

"Imma kill him." She stood up, storming towards their table, passing by Lindsay and Kim who walked towards the bathroom. "You moron!" Nicole started slapping Ken on his shoulders.

"Go control your women." Layla stood up, following after Nicole with a grin.