[1]

"Gross! How can you eat that?"

Layla sat at her usual table with her only two friends, Nicole, and Jacob.

Nicole had straight strawberry blonde hair that went down to her waist and bright blue eyes. Layla called her ocean eyes.

Jacob has black curly hair that always almost covered his brown eyes. He had freckles on his nose and had a one deep dimple on the left side of his cheek.

"It's food and I'm hungry so shut it, freckles." Nicole yelled at her best friend as she stuffed a piece of roll in her mouth.

Layla sat down at the table and flicked Jacobs forehead that was covered by his curly hair.

"Never mess with Nicole's food." She said while shaking her head, a small smile forming on her pink full lips.

"Whatever." Jacob huffed and sipped on his water bottle. "Vodka." Jacob grinned and handed the 'water' bottle towards the two girls who both shook their heads.

"I have a test next class and I can't afford to fail." Nicole sighed loudly and pushed the bottle away.

"Maybe you should study instead of hanging over at Kevin's house." Layla rolled the bottle back to Jacob.

"I wasn't-" Layla gave Nicole a pointed look and she sighed in defeat. "We were just talking." She mumbled and both Layla and Jacob burst out laughing.

"What?! We were!" Nicole defended her herself.

"You never go to Kevin's house to just 'talk'." Layla made quotation marks with her fingers as she said 'talk.'

"That's- that's not true." Nicole quickly changed the subject. "Are you guys going to homecoming?"

Layla shook her head as she took a piece of roll from Nicole's food tray. "Dances aren't my thing."

"I am. I'm taking Serenity." Jacob wiggles his eyes brows. "You know what that means." Jacob laughed.

"Passionate se-"

"Ew, stop. No one wants to hear what you and serenity are gonna do." Nicole scrunched up her nose in disgust.

Layla slowly ate her piece of roll as she watched the two intensely. One looked hurt and the other looked satisfied.

Nicole was obviously hurt because she had feelings for her player best friend and Jacob looked satisfied because he got a rise out of his dream girl.

Layla smiled as the two continued to look at each other before Nicole snapped out of it. "Let's just go outside already to the patio." She mumbled and left her food tray on the table.

Jacob quickly grabbed his drink and followed after her, grabbing Layla hand so she can hurry.

They passed by Daniel and Lindsay who were talking, Layla drifting her attention elsewhere.

Daniel watched as Layla held Jacob hand as they dashed passed him out the door. The feeling of jealousy rising inside of him.

✵ ✵ ✵

The smoking patio was where the burnout and freaks usually hung out whenever they felt like it. During class while ditching, during lunch.

"Hey Nicholas, you get those M-80s?"

Layla felt her heart speed up as she heard Daniels voice but she ignored it as she continued talking to her best friends.

"Looks like Desario brought Weir." Jacob told the girls as he looked behind Layla.

"You guys know Lindsay?" Layla heard Daniel say from not too far.