TWO: a strange new world

TWO: A STRANGE NEW WORLD

IT MUST HAVE BEEN MIDNIGHT, or close to it, when Billie and Harry made their way to the same place where the buses had left them. The ever-constant darkness encircled the strange new world that was seemingly an exact replica of West Ham: the same street names, the same houses, the same essence. But something was amiss, something that terrified the majority of the West Ham student body. They were alone under mysterious circumstances. Of course, it was probably every teenagers dream to be without their parents for an extended period of time — to be alone. But being alone was, well, inherently lonely.

And at this moment, Harry wasn't much company.

As the two sat in his expensive car, Billie crossed her arms in protest at his driving skills. "God, can you not run every red?"

"What, is your dad going to pull me over?" Harry quipped, his eyebrow raising as he accelerated the car. Billie rolled her eyes as the convertible ran another red light.

"Yeah, he would, like the other five times," the teenage girl deadpanned. "I don't know how Kelly drives with you."

Harry looked forward, obviously annoyed that he had become an errand-runner for his girlfriend's sarcastic best friend. "I don't know how Landon drives with you."

The mention of her twin brought her back to the painstakingly unfamiliar reality. It felt as though Billie's heart skipped a beat, like she was missing something. Someone. It was as if an orchestra was linked to her mind: before, the instruments worked in unison to create a unique and beautiful melody that distracted her from reality; now, the musicians were off-balance, the sorrow-filled violins taking priority.

The car made an abrupt stop in front of the gazebo, where the students had gathered in dismay. As Harry turned off the car and began to open his door, Billie grabbed his hand. "Wait," she whispered, barely audible.

"What?" Harry announced, irritated at the girl.

"Give me your phone," her politeness fleeting her. When he didn't answer her, she screamed: "Now, Harry!"

The Bingham boy cussed as he handed her his phone, watching her reckless motions in a skeptical manner. Of course, she was attempting to call her twin one more time. The girl did not know what to expect in the situation — if no one's families were answering, why would Landon suddenly do so? But this was different, her reasoning proved, he was supposed to be here.

When the hopeful answer proved futile, Billie placed the phone down and quietly stared ahead at her classmates from inside the car as the Bingham boy loudly spoke. The Clarke girl, however, could not hear a word he spoke as she became fixated on her shaking arm. The slow, steady tremble extended to her entire body as the harsh air became difficult to inhale. It was if she could not allow the air to flood her lungs.

"Billie!" A soft voice yelled. It was Kelly. Harry moved to the side as Kelly opened the passenger door and placed her hand over Billie's shaking one. "You're okay. Hey, look at me."

When Billie looked up, she observed the concern from her friend's eyes. Her lips quivered as her eyes became glossy. She was still holding her breath.

"Come on," Kelly soothed, shooting a warning glance at her boyfriend as she placed her hands on her friend's shoulders. "Let's go on the field with everyone."

Billie finally inhaled. The deep, sharp air flooded her lungs like the sea: once retreating, now thrashing violently at the shore. Breathe, she thought. Breathe.

By the time that the two girls joined the crowd, while Harry followed behind, the teenagers declared that they were all unable to connect with their family members. Cassandra stood at the front of the concerned group, her even tone assuring that perhaps they were evacuated due the smell. That had to be, right?

"Someone would still answer a phone," Kelly refuted Cassandra's theory, her arms crossed in dismay. She did not mean to further frighten Billie, but it was a strange occurrence. This was the twenty-first century, indeed, and phones were always available.

Cassandra continued to hypothesize, surrounded by her sister and her best friend. "Well, maybe they're in a bunker with no service. They'll contact us in the morning, but for now, we should just go home."

"Is that your advice, Cassandra?" Harry warned. "To just go home?"

Cassandra did not hesitate. "Yeah, Harry, just go home."

Her words slowly lingered behind as the crowd dispersed with caution, seemingly questioning the validity of her statements. Could they be in danger? some wondered.

"Hey," Billie started, grabbing the attention of her friend. "Thanks for helping me back there. I –"

"Don't worry," Kelly interrupted, her lips turning upwards into a soft smile. "Come back to my place, just spend the night with me until Landon calls you back."

Billie nodded, swallowing back the thoughts of worry surrounding her brother and parents.

The Clarke girl had resided in the idyllic town of West Ham, New England long enough to understand the implications it presented. Those who surrounded her completed their days like clockwork; belonging to a higher, inescapable nature that sought affluence and recognition. For that reason, the Clarke girl had always yearned the escape the town's limits and its titles. However, she was trapped within the town – entangled within all that it required; being the ideal daughter, the exemplary student, the best friend. The one that everyone knew and loved.

Little did she anticipate what would transpire when she descended the school bus with her other West Ham classmates into a new, microcosm of a world. Little did she anticipate that herself and Harry Bingham would be one another's company to their loneliness in mere days.

What a strange new world.

⚀ ⚁ ⚂ ⚃ ⚄ ⚅ ⚀ ⚁ ⚂ ⚃ ⚄ ⚅