ONE: the school production

ONE: THE SCHOOL PRODUCTION

⚀ ⚁ ⚂ ⚃ ⚄ ⚅ ⚀ ⚁ ⚂ ⚃ ⚄ ⚅

THE NIGHT OF THE PLAY had been highly anticipated by the town of West Ham, New England for its production of "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead." It seemed as though every seat was occupied by the town's prominent residents, including the family of Billie Clarke. Seated in the front row was Mr. and Mrs. Clarke (the sheriff and doctor of West Ham, respectively) and Billie's twin brother, Landon. Although not performing on stage, Billie was the photographer for the play along with classmate Becca Gelb. The two girls sat patiently backstage before they were supposed to begin taking photographs, looking at one another's cameras. Billie and Becca had usually never been in one another's company, as the former frequented with Kelly, but that did not stop conversation. Soon, the two photographers began to discuss the apparent smell backstage.

Surely conversation would surround the unpleasant smell that plagued the town, which steadily wafted through the auditorium and continued as the play ended.

By the time the play concluded, its inhabitants quickly made their way out so as to avoid the smell while Billie waited by the stage for her family, who approached her with flowers and smiles.

Her eyes lit with happiness as she embraced her family members. "You guys didn't have to stay, I was just taking pictures!"

Her father laughed. He was still wearing his West Ham Sheriff uniform, having just gotten off of work minutes before the play started. "Of course we were going to stay, princess."

Her mother added: "We're so proud of you!"

Landon stood behind his parents, likely texting with the other lacrosse players in anticipation for tomorrow's practice. The twin brother of Billie, the two had a connection that was unbreakable – they were each other's built-in best friends, though Landon chose not to admit it. Mrs. Clarke noticed that the male twin had yet to speak to his sister, and turned to face him. Her voice warned, "Your sister's leaving tomorrow, Landon."

Landon put his phone down. "I'd be coming if I didn't have lacrosse practice." Their mother shot him a warning glance. "I'm sorry, I can't wait to see your pictures."

Billie raised her eyebrow at her twin's sarcastic tone, and the two shared a quick laugh. "I'm just going to say goodbye to a few people before we leave, is that okay?"

Mr. and Mrs. Clarke nodded before congratulating their daughter one more time. The two exited holding hands, their love for one another clearly evident to all those around them. Billie watched as her parents made their way down the auditorium, exchanging words with those who approached them. The Clarke family was a well-known family in West Ham, their residency in the town going back multiple generations.

Landon cleared his throat, causing Billie to face her twin. "I'm going with Harry if you want to come."

"He's probably with Kelly, so lead the way," the Clarke girl stated, following her brother backstage. Billie quickly congratulated the Pressman sisters as they continued their way to her best friend. While she very much enjoyed the company of Kelly, her boyfriend was less-than desirable. Protective of her friend, Billie did not appreciate the way in which the boy treated his girlfriend – though she would never tell Kelly this. She was West Ham's perfect friend.