Chapter 1- Hate My Life

"Watch out, Freak!" Some girl yelled at me as she pushed me over.

I was gathering my things off the ground and I looked up and said "Annie, don't you think this is getting a bit old? I mean, after the first few hundred times, I thought you'd be as sick of it as everyone else." I stood up. The entire hallway is empty, all except me and the group of friends that Annie finds necessary to keep around her as back up 24/7.

Annie is maybe 7 or 8 inches taller than me. She has short blond hair and a tan that would definitely make an orange jealous. She has a dark shade of brown eyes that she surrounds with a dark thick layer of charcoal colored eyeliner. And her mouth, full and plump, is always perfectly showed off with a bright red lipstick.

I have never once in my life wanted to be like Annie Selmer. She is fake and all around terrible person. Oh, and you can't forget she's also my personal torturer.

Not saying I'm much better. No one ever wants to be the schools punching back.

I'm a Junior and I have been in 19 fights since 5th grade. I got on Annie's bad side in Mrs. Marcie's 5th grade science class because I did a better project than her. Annie didn't like the attention being on me so she told Mrs. Marcie that I stole the 20 dollars that she was missing out of her drawer in her desk. I got suspended. Then, by the time I came back, everyone ignored me and each one of my friends stopped talking to me. Annie said that if they did they would be in complete isolation from the other students. This threat was to be taken seriously. Annie was a very powerful 5th grader.

People would always say, in 5th grade, there were no popular kids. But I bet those people who said that didn't have a Annie Selmer whose mom owned every Toys-R-Us in the state and that gave her the best birthday parties, clothes, hair, presents, ect. Annie was the richest girl in the school and she got everything she ever wanted. Even if it didn't involve money.

 Now, when I say I've been in 19 fights, that doesn't mean that I started or actually tried to participate in them. It was more like me getting jumped and me having to defend myself. Annie rarely came to lash out on me herself but she had many friends to do it for her. That was like an admittance card to get into her little group of overly tan, blonde, bobble heads, who only agree with Annie and say "Yeahhh," when it is needed. Those very same girls were still standing in front of me.

"Cute." She roles her raccoon eyes. "I actually came over here for a reason." She was looking at her manicured nail.

"Besides, to make my life more of a living hell? What can I do for you, Annie?" I said as I went back to my locker to grab my chemistry book.

One of Annie's minions, Tanya, grabbed my hair and pulled my head straight back and her 2 other friends, Debbie and Sasha, grabbed my arms to pin them to my sides, so I couldn't fight back.

Annie stepped forward and leaned over me. "Watch how you talk to me freak. I'll punch all those little freckles right off that ugly face of yours."

I glared back at her in reply.

"Give me the answers to Algebra II test for tomorrow. I know you know them. You're little teachers pet." She sneered.

"Why don't you just have mommy buy them for you." I knew that I would regret that comment but I figure that she is going to punch me anyways might as well deserver it.

Annie lunged forward and punched me in the mouth. My head slammed back into the locker so hard that my vision blurred slightly out of focus.

"I'll only ask one more time before I have my lovely friend, Genie, make you unrecognizable." She whispered, sinisterly, as she trailed her shape nail down the side of my face. "You see, the teachers have been really hard on my soccer coach about meeting the grade requirements to continue my season out and we have college scouts coming for the next two games to watch me. I have to get an A in Algebra to pass that requirement."

"I don't see how that's my problem. I don't have the answers and I'm not teachers pet. I have to go to her class early in the mornings and after to school for a punishment." As I was answering Tanya let go of my hair. The bell was about to ring and they didn't want the chance of any teachers coming out and seeing this little incident.

"Ahh, our little goody good got in trouble? But for what, I wonder?" She laughed but you could see true curiosity behind her eyes.

I wasn't going to ease her wonders. I sat there quietly and we both stared at each other. When the bell rang, the girls released me and Annie said "My answers by morning."

As they walked away I wiped the blood off of my mouth and noticed the blood that dripped down on my white shirt. I really wish I didn't take my extra hoodie home.

I hurried and picked up my dropped chemistry book and rushed to the bathroom. Luckily, no one was in there and I looked in the mirror. On my forehead, under my hair line it was angry read and my eyes were red from angered tears that had surfaced. My lips had blood that covered them like a ruby red lipstick. There was a deep cut on my lower and upper lip where Annie punched me. She may be a pampered, spoiled brat but she is strong, unbelievably strong.

As I wiped the blood off my mouth and held a cold damp towel to my hair line trying to get the redness to lighten up, I looked at my reflection. I don't really know what beauty is. As a child, everyone had always said I was beautiful. I heard that often, and I believed it up until 5th grade.

My black hair is always in loose curls that goes to the middle of my back. My eyes, which now are irritated red, are a grey blue. I had freckles painted on my face, across my nose and cheeks. My lips are plump and, lately, always have a challenging smirk on them.

I have learned that if no one was going to step forward and help me or at least leave me alone then I must not show fear. I couldn't show fear. That would be the death of me. People are known to go after the weak and scared scapegoat, rather than the one who is daring you to come and use them. I never want to show weakness.

While I was thinking about that, tears swelled in my eyes and started to flow over. I wiped at them and hurried out of the bathroom, with my head down. No one needs to see me crying. I was planning to go and grab my homework and leave, but I slammed into someone head on.

As I was falling back waiting for the impact of the hard ground, the person I ran into grabbed me around my waist and steadied me.

"I'm so sorry, I wasn't looking. My bad, completely." He said.

I looked up and saw the most gorgeous guy I've ever seen.

He had brown, wavy, hair with natural blonde highlights showing through. His eyes were a piercing color of midnight. Such a dark blue they completely transfixed me. Then, my eyes went down to his mouth. He had full lips, almost inviting to be kissed.

I stood straight up and said. "No, it's ok. My head was down. I wasn't looking." I rambled, a bit. I wanted to kick myself.

"I wasn't looking either. I was looking at my schedule. I'm new here. Tomorrow's my first... day." His voice faded as he took in my appearance. My cut lips, red hair line and bloodied shirt.

"Are you ok? Did something happen?" He asked. He looked worried and upset.

"Yeah, I'm fine. You'll get used to it. I'm the schools punching bag." I mocked laugh.  "Thanks to Annie Selmer." I felt embarrassed with the way I looked. I dropped my gaze down to the floor.

"Hey," He said. He put a hand under my chin. I looked up at him. "You look like a really nice girl. I don't think you deserve this." He said.

I know I should have said something but I felt something so strong. I couldn't understand the feeling. I took the breath from my lungs and my heart fluttered as he stared deeply into my eyes, as I stared into his.

He stepped back, probably thinking he offended me. He reached his hand out and said "I'm Jace."

I took his hand and shook it. "Piper Dawn."