Chapter 4 - Jace

I walked into the school and the usual crowd that's there, going to lockers, classes and gossiping. There was always the biggest cluster of people that you had to shove and push yourself all the way to your locker. Except today it wasn't like that.

Today, there was that same mass of people except when I walked through the door, it sounded like the mute button was pressed. Everyone stopped and stared directly at me. I slowed my pace and looked behind me. Nope, no one there. I kept walking forward, still in silence. I noticed that they made a path for me and that was when I could figure out what all this was about.

Leaning near my locker was Jace. He had dark glasses on and his arms were folded, showing the muscles through his black fitted shirt and his faded blue jeans with his dark boots. He was irresistible in my eyes.

But that wasn't the reason for the hushed student body. My locker door was laying on the floor with a bunch of dents in it. Inside of my locker was a bunch of trash and a big black poster that read "WHORE! Love your very biggest fans."

I stopped there and looked at it for a moment. Then I just dropped my bag and turned slowly back around and walked towards the door.

"Wait! Piper!" I heard Jace's voice behind me.

"What?" I barely mumbled.

He placed a hand on my arm to stop my attempted running.

"Who would do this? Just tell me and I'll take care of all this. Please don't run."

He took his glasses off and tucked them in his back pocket. His eyes so absolutely breath taking that for a moment I forgot where I was and I was back in my dream.

"Piper?" Jace's eyes had so much concern that it snapped me out of my little day dream.

"Oh, um, I don't really kn-" I started

"Whore!" A group of girls said.

I turned to look who they were, even though I already knew. It was Annie's group. And Annie was standing in the middle of the crowd with a smirk that could have came from the devil himself.

"Now ladies, is that very nice?" Annie said with fake concern. "Piper, come over hear for a sec? Come on."

I was just about to turn around but I was so full of anger that I intended to punch her when I got close enough but she grabbed my arm and that snapped me out of my blinding anger.

"Did you get my message, dear?" She said quietly. Only her and I could hear this conversation.

I didn't reply so she continued "I hope you realize that this mean the new hottie, well, he's mine. He already asked me out on a date for tonight." She finished with a sweet smile and a little, almost timid, wave to Jace. I didn't turn to see his expression.

"Do you really think that Jace is even interested in me? I mean come on, Annie. Look at him? Don't you think it's possible that he is just being nice to the school freak?" My anger started to build at the truth of my words. I turned to face the students gathered around us. I held my hands out. "I mean would every one just be serious for a couple seconds? I'm not anywhere near his league so why does everyone think that he'd come chasing me?" I turned back to Annie and put my hands on her shoulders. "And Annie, for the love of God, would you just stop acting so insecure and stupid? Why are youso threatened by me?" I said it with a bitter, no humor, laugh. "I am and forever will be the schools punching bag. So why don't we just keep things the way they were before and leave your entire creativeness out of it? Okay? Thanks, doll." I turned and went to walk past Jace, but he grabbed my arm.

"Piper..." He started.

"Save it. Annie is more your league anyways. I hope you're happy with her. Goodbye." I hurried out the door.