Chapter 6: Broken yet Stronger

While Abir and Mishti were on their way back home, he asked her, "Are you happy after meeting your sister, Mishti?"

"Hmmmm." Mishti just nodded and looked away. Abir felt weird with Mishti's expressionless and dull response. He thought she would have been on cloud nine after meeting her sister. He thought she would have loved knowing that Mishri was so interested in knowing her and making a bond with her. He thought she would have jumped with excitement and shared her conversation about Mishri with him. He thought he would have told her how he felt she was "mini angry chorni". Mini version of his chorni. He wanted to ask Mishti but he noticed they were close to a park. He decided to make a quick stop, relax and talk like old times.

Abir stopped the car and Mishti looked around curiously. She was surprised and looked towards Abir with confusion. Abir smiled. He got out of the car and walked towards Mishti's side. He opened the door and extended his arm. "Let's spend some time." Mishti nervously smiled and put her hand in his and got out of the car.

The park was fairly empty. Mishti and Abir just walked around for some time. Mishti was constantly looking around, lost in her thoughts. Abir was calmly noticing her. He understood she was probably taking her time to get it together. But her silence was slowly killing him. He wanted to know what she was feeling. He wanted to help. She looked a little upset too. Was she upset with him? Was she upset with Mishri? Would Mishri have said something that could have hurt her? He had so many questions. He thought to just start off the conversation normally again to see how she reacts.

"Nice weather, right?." Mishti nodded to Abir's question. "Abir...." As Mishti called him, Abir thought Mishti was finally ready to talk to him. He immediately looked towards her with hope. "Let's go home" requested Mishti. The little ray of hope he felt had disappeared. Abir understood that there was no point in going around in circles. If he wanted to know what was going on in her head, he would have to ask her directly.

"Mishti? Did you not like the surprise?" Abir held Mishti by her shoulders and looked directly into her eyes. Mishti looked away. Abir tightened his hold and asked her again, "Mishti, please tell me. Did you hate it?"

Mishti knew there was no point in lying anymore. She looked directly into his eyes. "I didn't hate it...." Mishti paused for a second. "But.... I didn't like it either." Abir was shocked at Mishti's statement. "I just wish you would have told me." Mishti continued as she loosened Abir's hold from her shoulders. Abir reminded her that he just wanted to surprise her and make her happy. "I don't doubt your intention Abir. I know that. All I am saying is I wasn't ready for the surprise. If you would have informed me, it would have been much better. I had no idea what to do. How to react. It was awkward. If you would have told me, I wouldn't have said no. I wanted to be prepared. That's all" Mishti tried to explain her point.

"I just thought maybe meeting your sister would make you happy Mishti. You have barely smiled after that night. I thought maybe.." Before Abir could, Mishti interrupted him.

"I know Abir. But I want you to understand something. This isn't some issue that you can fix with your bandage theory. I am all over the place right now Abir. Bringing her or anyone like that will not help. I am just trying really hard to gather myself and this isn't helping with that." Mishti tried to clarify once again.

"And I want to help you Mishti. And I have no idea what's going in your mind. If you don't tell me, how am I supposed to help you?" questioned Abir helplessly.

"But I don't want you to help me right now." Mishti was straight up about what she wanted.

"Why not?" asked a confused Abir.