Chapter 2: Biology Sucks!

"Bro! I think she is Mishti's mother...,,.." Kuhu looked towards Mishti for confirmation..."Mrs Karishma Kapoor.."

Abir couldn't believe his ears. He asked Kuhu to repeat what she had said and looked towards Mishti for confirmation. Her tears gave her away so Mishti wiped away her tears. Abir went to her and just pulled her into a hug, but it was as if she had been frozen in her spot. She couldn't raise her arms to wrap them around him, as she usually would. Abir broke the hug and cupped her face. Mishti was expressionless.

He realized that she was struggling so hard not to fall weak. And he felt helpless. He turned towards Kuhu with a confused look. He wasn't able to understand how Mishti was so affected and Mrs Kapoor wasn't.

"I don't think she recognised us Bro. She left when we were #veryyoung. Like 13-14. And I don't think she has been able to put two and two together just yet. I am assuming she never kept a tab on Mishti. So probably......l-" said Kuhu. "I was not sure myself. I had a doubt when I saw her. It's been years that we have seen each other. But Mishti's reactions confirmed that she is her mother. So yah!! Umm!! I don't think she recognizes us."

"And it will stay that way" said Mishti with a straight face. "I don't want anyone to find out about it. Not even her..". Abir and Kuhu looked towards her. Mishti was staring straight at them as if she was warning them. No matter how many times Kuhu fought with Mishti, there were times she was extremely scared of her. There were times she knew she shouldn't mess with Mishti and this was one of those times. She nodded slightly and excused herself to the hall. Abir walked towards Mishti. He felt extremely sorry for her. He wanted to help her but he wasn't able to figure out a way.

"If you don't want to attend this dinner, I understand. I will make up an excuse". Abir offered as he tucked her hair behind her ears. Mishti shook her head in disagreement. "You dont need to torture yourself Mish!". Abir tried to push his point again.

"I am not...." Mishti paused for a second. "I know what I am doing.... Just try and be normal. I don't want anyone to find out anything.. At least not now.. Please...."

"Mishti..." Abir again wanted to pull her in a hug but Mishti stopped him. "Not now Abir! Please...". Abir respected her request and gave a slight kiss on the side of her forehead and left the kitchen. Mishti again tried to pull herself together and called Jugnu to help her serve the guests. Even though there was an unsaid deal between Mishti Abir, they both had not realized that someone had eavesdropped on their entire conversation.

Everyone was enjoying dinner. Shekhar couldn't stop praising the food. Mishti noticed Mishri getting pampered by Shekhar and Karishma. She smiled at Mishri's innocence and had tears in her eyes thinking about her past. She looked away to wipe her tears. Mishti and Mishri shared an awkward eye lock. Mishri felt an unknown bond towards Mishti. She wasn't able to figure out what it was. But somehow she felt inspired by her. Somehow she felt like Mishti was someone she could look up to.

Karishma also had noticed Mishti was staring at them. She just couldn't understand why. But she wasn't feeling bothered by the stares. It rather seemed as if she was looking for something. Looking for some answers. The name reminded her of someone. Of her little girl that she left behind. The life that she left behind because she was just done. Because she couldn't handle it any longer. Shekhar was kind enough to accept her even after knowing her past. He never judged her for leaving her daughter behind. He never poked her for the same. There were days where she did always wonder about Mishti. She wondered how she was. As she looked towards Mishti, she thought that her little girl would be as grown as Mishti. It was true that her relationship with Mishti wasn't that close. Mishti was always more close to her cousins, grandparents and Taiji compared to her. But she was still her child. She did love her in her own way. But even after that, she left her. No matter what, she could never muster the courage to go back or check on Mishti. She wasn't sure if she was ready to face her daughter's accusations. Her questions. She wasn't sure if her daughter would ever understand her. She had convinced herself that her reasons were right. She had convinced herself to never look back and hence, for that reason, she never tried to find out where or how Mishti was.