chapter 3

Okay I know I know. But I'm free to write now so expect a lot of posting

But if you don't vote and fan and encourage well then I might forget the story again XD

Anyway it is

Chapter 3

Captain Aldron sat in his tent. He had just seen Prince Rowell and his suspicions were correct. Even the prince, Caien's closest friend knew not of his axemanship. That would mean none knew of his axemanship. Unless. . .

No. Aldron shook that thought out of his mind. If that was the case he would not have fought to keep him alive. Anyhow he would be sure.

Caien appeared through the entrance flap of his tent. He had obeyed orders. Caien stepped forward towards the cot Aldron sat on and went to his knees and did the very submissive salute of the apprentices of Moxol. Caien remained on his knees.

"Caien"

"Yes Captain"

"Where did you learn your axemanship?"

"From the Prince's trainer sir"

"Those few lessons?"

"Yes sir"

Aldron fell quiet. Then it was natural talent he thought. We shall see shan't we?

"Stand up"

Caien jumped to his feet immediately. Aldron stood also and studied the armour Caien wore. It was different from any armour he had seen before but he knew the armour was of good workmanship.

The armour was made for a small but muscular man which Caien wasn't so it looked slightly too big. The chest and back plates was joined by a mail of intricate design on both sides of the abdomen. It had flowers and vine shapes worked into it. The plates of armour were joined to the mail by white leather cords looped through holes in the plates and weaved carefully through the mail in a form similar to Caien's hair braid.

The mail continued to cover the neck and shoulders. Shoulder armour with looped white leather cords weaved it to the mail, attaching it to the body. This, unlike his own armour, Aldron noticed left the arms and neck to move freely but the weaving of the leather cords prevented any harm coming to those parts.

The arm pieces seemed similar to the army's own. However Caien's arm pieces were three quarters of a cylinder while theirs, Aldron noted, were only half thus protecting more of the arm. And again like the shoulder armour was woven into place on the mail visible in his inner arm.

In normal armour the elbow would be left unprotected. Usually mail had elbow length sleeves so the elbow would be covered by a leather cap but not Caien's. His mail ran past his elbow. The woven braid dissipated at the elbow and the white leather cords were worn into the elbow mail in a spiral until it met the lower arm piece and returned into a braid hold the arm piece in place. The gloves Caien wore were made of soft white leather and had armour on the back of the hand similar to the knight's own glove armour which allowed him to hold the reins of a horse. The gloves too had cords that wove into the underlying mail. The result was the free movement of the arm and complete coverage of the arm.

The chest and back plates ended right above Caien's pelvis but again the mail and leather cord weave continued to the leg armour. This left the body able to swing freely about the waist without compromising the safety of the wearer.

The thigh armour was the same as the fore arm arm pieces and the knee was done similarly to the elbow but the difference was the armour carried on into the black riding boots Caien was wearing. It was made for that it seemed as there was a shin and calf armour plate for the boots. Like the chest and back armour the calf and shin plates had mail outside the boot and a braid woven both sides down to the boot heel.