THIRTY NINE

since when did you speak japanese?

"Ad somnum." Hope waves her hand, making Rafael fall back asleep.

Landon, Alaric, and I approach the tribrid. "What were you two even doing here?" Hope asks my brother.

"Looking for answers." He says, "And, I guess you." Hopes eyes soften at the statement, she looks over at me, and I shrug awkwardly.

"Dad?" We all turn to see Josie. She looks at each of us. "What the hell's going on?" I look at a japanese man with a sword and a very old fashioned, but bad ass, clothing. He begins to speak in a foreign language, which I can only assume is japanese. "He said, We came to protect the bonsai-headed boy and sister. I think."

Landon looks at me, smiling wide. "Doesn't make you cool." I say to my brother.

Josie looks at Hope for a moment. She whispers the Samurai before speaking Japanese. She glances back. "That's Japanese for, What the hell is is she doing here?"

I glare at Josie. "Okay, back off Princess Bubblegum before I tear those pretty brown eyes out." I take a step towards Josie, but Hope grabs my wrist. My head snaps back at her.

"It's not worth it, Lena." She whispers. Pursing my lips, I stand next to my brother. "Listen, I'm a witch, okay?"

"Badass werewitch, actually." I remark.

Josie sends me an annoyed look. "Just because she's supernatural doesn't mean we can trust her." She shrugs. "I mean, she shouldn't be here."

Alaric sighs. "Look, I will take all the help I can get." He says, "Even from him. So ask him to tell us everything we should know." He gestures to the Samurai.

Josie looks past us. "Kurutta-san." She waves him over. The two begin to speak in japanese. "Dropped on his head as a baby. Samurai school to learn discipline."

The Saltzman witch goes on to talk about Kurutta and the Oni. How it moves from person to person by touch. He was just about to kill it when it found its way into the body of a child and escaped him yet again. But he couldn't bring himself to harm an innocent child. So, instead, he made an impossible choice and he took the Oni into himself. But he was still partly in control of his faculties. The Oni found it harder to possess his broken mind. He tried to stab himself with his sword, and the Oni wouldn't let him. So he decided to never touch a person again. And then Malivore.

"He came through an ana." Josie frowns, confused. "I think he's talking about a portal."

"Portal? Uh, where?" Hope asks.