33. In Behalf of Friends

Ladybird and Wysteria packed up quickly in the morning. The sun was bright but not strong enough to melt the frosted ground. Wysteria had readied her horse and started with Ladybird's while she folded the tent and buried the cold fire pit with dirt, covering it also with grass.

"Have you seen Sacha?" Wysteria asked as she came to her sister's side. "He ran off after something last night."

Ladybird turned in the opposite direction to see if she could see the wolf and froze. Two riders were coming their way at a trot. Their thin horses tossed their long necks and pulled at the reins as the white cloaks of the men fluttered behind them. "No."

"What do we do?" Wysteria asked.

"Get to your horse," Ladybird had just enough time to whisper before the men got within hearing range.

One horse bayed loudly as they stepped into the folded camp. "Well what is this here?" one of them men asked grinning.

The other man laughed. "We've been looking all over for you, little miss," he said. "What are you trying to do, get lost out here?"

"You can have whatever you want but leave me and my sister alone," Ladybird said.

The first man glanced over at Wysteria. "I don't think I can do that." he said. Swinging his leg over his horse he dismounted. "I have orders to take you in." A smile spread across his face and Ladybird stepped back.

The other man dismounted. Keeping his hand on his gun he searched through the bags.

Ladybird waited. She had seen Sacha hunt and knew that his victories came from patience.

The first man grabbed her upper arm as he watched his partner shift through the bags.

Ladybird looked up at Wysteria holding the reins of her horse.

The man suddenly looked up at her. "What are you looking at?" he said sharply.

Wysteria shook her head and grabbed the mare's bridle.

"Do I have something on my face?" The mad stood, sending the bag rolling away from him.

Wysteria curled up against the mare trembling. "Leave me alone."

"I'm not so funny looking anymore, am I?" He started towards her.

"No!" Ladybird shouted, surprised at the power of her own voice. "Let her be, please, she's been through enough."

The man holding her laughed. "Why should we care?"

"Please," Ladybird said. "Rip me apart but do not hurt my sister...she's all I have." She broke free of the man holding her and ran to the second. Grabbing his arm to spun him away from Wysteria.

Turning back to Wysteria he nodded his head. "Get out of here."

Wysteria looked at Ladybird with wide eyes. "Ladybird..."

"Go!" Ladybird shouted at her. "Go, now, Wysteria. Go or I'll shoot you myself!"

Wysteria climbed into the saddle trembling. She could barely keep her hands on the reins. She pushed the mare into a strong gallop tearing up the land beneath her hooves. They flew over the dead meadow and into a thin strip of trees. Faster and faster she urged the horse to go. Faster and faster still.

They broke free of the trees covered in thistles and started up a rock slope. The mare's hooves struck like flints on the stones as she bounded upwards her silver mane flying. Suddenly her forelegs lost their grip and she reared backwards.