16. Tycoons and Tyrants

Air filled Silas' lungs like a block of ice as he broke the water's surface and clutched the grassy bank. He pulled himself out of the water and rested on his side trying to breathe without coughing and trying to keep his heart in his chest.

As the cold air seeped into his clothes he got himself up off the ground and staggered home. Every sound from the woods made him pause and look around. He couldn't remember going into the lake but he could remember the unmistakable feeling of hands holding him under water.

When he reached home he pushed open the door and went inside. Fire from the hearth had warmed the house and his face prickled at the heat.

Reuben stepped into the hall and pulled off his glasses. "Silas, you're soaking wet!" He grabbed hold of his brother and took him into the parlor. Standing him before the fireplace he took a throw off the back of a seat and wrapped it around him. "This is the wrong time of year for a swim."

Silas coughed as he shivered. "Someone—" a rough cough rocked his body before he could finish. "I was at the lake...someone pushed me in. Reuben, someone tried to kill me."

Reuben pulled a chair in front of the fireplace and helped his brother to sit. "Kill you?" he chuckled. "Why would anyone want to do that?"

"Reuben, I mean it," Silas said a bit angry. "I was walking in the park and I thought I was alone. Then I saw this white horse tangled in the bush. I think it may have been Poseidon. Philemon's horse."

Reuben scoffed. "You think a white horse tried to drag you into the lake and drown you? You've been listening to too many stories."

"People have drowned there before," Silas said.

"I know. But that kelpie nonsense... All of those events were accidents."

"I know someone tried to drown me," Silas said. "I only got away because I stuck them in the hand with my dagger. What I can't figure out is why Philemon's horse was out there."

"How do you know it was his?"

"He's the only one with a horse that white that I know," Silas said.

"Wait a minute," Reuben said. "You're not thinking that Philemon Yewtree tried to drown you?"

Silas shrugged. "I sometimes get the feeling he doesn't like me very much."

"Maybe because you're too close to his fiancé," Reuben said. "But I highly doubt he'd drown you. Or anyone for that matter. He saved Miss Winters; he's a hero if anything."

"I'm not sure anymore," Silas said.

Reuben sighed. "Can you imagine the headlines?" he asked. "Star Hero Swimmer Drowns School Master." He swept his hand. "Silas, it sounds to me like you slipped into the lake and got tangled in weeds and branches. I know Philemon Yewtree can be conceded but that's his worst trait." He patted his brother on the back. "I'll make you a cup of coffee and get you some dry clothes."

Silas turned to the dancing flames as his brother left the room. Even now he could feel the strong grasp on him and hear the water kelpie roaring.

/

The great white door swung open before him as a servant lead Philemon into the mansion home. The man took him up a winding staircase, down a hall where a chandelier hovered like a bejeweled bat on the ceiling. When they came to a set of open doors the servant stepped through first.

"Mr. Yewtree, ma'am."

Philemon entered the room briskly to find Mrs. Winters seated neatly in her favorite chair with tea on the table before her. He took a seat across from her as the servant closed the doors behind him.