That Damnable Beeping Part 1

"You're joking." I said, my glass of water frozen a half inch away from my lips. "There's no way."

Adam's eyes sparkled with mischievous ideas and possible intentions. And for a moment, I thought he was joking. But he just shook his head and looked down at his drink.

"There was an... accident at Dialis." Adam cleared his throat as he mentioned the company I used to work at, I felt like my heart was beating hard enough for him to hear. James was my friend. He was there for me since I graduated high school. How could something happen to him? He was too careful. "James was shot three times in the chest, and once in the jaw."

I felt as if someone had punched me in the face. How could someone shoot James?

I felt dizzy, like someone had spun me around dozens of times.

"T-There's no way." I stood up slowly, but swayed on my feet and knocked my chair over. I don't remember when I fell, but next thing I knew, Adam was kneeling beside me with a hand on my shoulder.

"Maybe we should go to the hospital, and see how he's doing." He suggested and helped me to my feet. I didn't know what to say or how to reply to him, but next thing I knew we were getting in his car and were headed towards the freeway.

About two hours later we were at the hospital, Adam was flirting with an android nurse, and I was sitting beside James. He was pale, almost grey in color and half of his face was bandaged.

James seemed lifeless, and that terrified me. It made me wonder what happened, and why James had to be shot.

"Least you're okay now..." I said softly, more to reassure myself than actually speaking to him.