Chapter 15

It all started with the captains of the escort vessels being called on the Horizon for a meeting. The issue was something that needed to be hashed out in person and it was the most secure way to ensure none of the crew got wind of it.

Saon made most of the arrangements for it and it was the next day after Isris had suggested the other vessels be scanned that the captains arrived for the meeting. Many of them had been curious and even eager to come on-board so they could meet the Esperans as well. Some had been cursing their luck and the fact they were missing the opportunity to meet their kind. Anyone who had spent time traversing the vast emptiness had heard of Esperans, but few had had real contact with them.

So it was with a certain amount of eagerness that they arrived on board and gathered in the conference room. It was the first time Nala was seeing some of them in person.

There was the captain of the Judiciator – grey beard and all around the sort of figure you'd have expected to find in the captains cabin of sail ships of old. His voice boomed around the room and his laughter almost drowned out everything else.

Next to him was the thin man who was captain of the Berena. He looked uncomfortable next to his noisy comrade, but he did his best to be polite to him and go along with the stories being told. His brown hair was cut short and he was much younger than his companion.

Then there was the captain of the Devor – the only woman in the bunch. How old she was was impossible to tell, but she was graceful in the way many elves were. She had golden brown hair that she had tied behind her so it wouldn't get in her way, which exposed her finely shaped ears for everyone to admire. She was sharing her thoughts with Nala and Taif as the Esperans made their entrance.

The room fell silent as Isris and Asiss entered it along with Ialye. The captains eyed the two Esperans with curiosity. Just as the silence was about to pass, Isris lifted her hand and pointed one of her slender fingers at Taif.

“He is the one,” her voice declared in the minds of everyone in the room. “He is the agent!”

The silence in the room turned stunned. No one dared to move or speak.

“What is this nonsense?” demanded Taif finally. He looked furious as he stood there next to Nala.

“It is not nonsense,” the eerie voice of Isris declared. “I can see it clearly in your mind. How you planted the devices in the waste processing plant. Your hatred is clear and the target of it..” she became hesitant. “Nala, watch out!” Isris cried out, but it was too late.

Taif had pulled out a small weapon from its holster hanging from his belt and wrapped an arm around Nala's neck. He pointed the weapon straight at her temple and used her body as cover.

“No one moves or I'll blow her brains out!” the man declared in a loud voice, void of the usual finesse the elven language had with it. He sounded like a crass human.

“Taif, what are you..” started Nala, but was cut off by the man holding her hostage.

“You shut up!” Taif shouted. “You have no idea how much of my work has just gone down the drain and killing you would be a fitting compensation for it, but sadly I need you to get off this cursed ark of yours.”

“What do you want, Taif?” asked Ialye. She seemed to be the first one to recover from the shock. No one had even dared to suspect the long time captain of the Tibiniah. He had been a friend to Nala for a long time and to many others in the room.

Taif tightened his arm around Nala's throat and started to drag her towards the door, all the while glancing around to ensure no one had a clear shot at him nor tried to jump him. Many of the captains had pulled their own weapons now, as had Ghardo. His face was a twisted mask of rage.