Chapter 3

The walk through the superstructure surrounding the Horizon gave them a much clearer view of what the massive vessel was like. The top of it had several large, transparent domes that let in sunlight when it was available. There was also an mechanism to shut the domes inside an protective metal casing should any danger face the craft during its journey.

The overall design of it was a stark contrast to the very angular and abstract appearance of the Gardless patrol craft they had passed in the space dock. The Horizon was more subtle with rounded edges and soft inclines and declines that gave it the surface contour of a sloping down hill. The runes that covered much of it also gave it an exotic vibe that was lacking on many other vessels, though given that it was already the largest craft ever built within The Union, they were a small detail in the grand scheme of things.

At the bottom of the craft there was a large bay through which smaller vessels could dock and unload passengers and cargo. Inside the bay there was ample space to fit even the Tibiniah, though generally it was reserved for much smaller passenger and cargo vessels. There was a contingent of interceptors there as well. The journey would be long and would take them mostly through uncharted space so having a means to defend themselves was crucial, especially considering the valuable cargo they had with them.

Of course, the craft itself had weapons as well and quite a few of them as well. There were missile batteries, the shielding provided by the runes, countermeasures against incoming projectiles and all sorts of other systems that would come useful in a fight.

Though for the moment Nala and her companions were more interested in the delicate procedure happening before them. One of the domes had been opened and several vessels were in the process of lowering down the large disc that held dozens of Elf Trees inside it, including that of Nala's parents.

They could clearly see the green grass and the tall trees standing in the soil they had been planted in after being lifted from their original habitat. While there were no large animals there, there were insects and all sorts of other small life forms in the soil and everywhere else you'd find them in any normal forest, to ensure the trees had as identical an environment as possible. Figuring out the right ratio of things had been a painstaking process and had resulted in the loss of more than one Elf Tree.

It was also why Nala had been worried over moving her parents tree.

For now, everything seemed to be moving along as planned. The disc had been safely lowered in its place and the see through dome was in the process of being closed.

“It would seem everything has gone according to plan,” said Ialye as the dome closed shut and Nala let out a sigh of relief.

“I would like to go inside and verify that for myself,” said Nala and gave the younger elf a questioning look. She had not been inside the Horizon before. All the previous times she had visited the outer hull had not been complete yet, leaving the insides of the craft without an atmosphere in which to breathe. Entire decks had been missing on the one time she had gone out in a space suit to get a closer look at the progress.

“But of course. Follow me,” said Ialye and led them towards the enclosed walkway that connected to an airlock on the Horizon. It was a good ten minute walk away from where they had been observing the operation.

“This'll be interesting,” said Ghardo with a hint of excitement in his voice. Being a pilot made him especially eager to see the insides of the massive craft. He had of course seen the plans and even had some input in the design, but it was one thing to look at lines on a piece of paper and quite another to actually walk inside the finished construct.

Nala gave the young man a knowing glance. “Just don't bother the workers too much with your questions,” she reminded him. Ghardo let out a cough and looked away.